• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Physical Before OCS?

NMCflyboy

Yeah I have a bad refraction error even greater than yours, MEPS has all my paper work and my recruiter said that a flight surgeon looked at the work up and said no waiver was required, but like you said NOMI website says otherwise.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Not 100% positive, but I think if you are not qualified at OCS you either redesignate to NFO or something else, or go home. I have the same question about borderlined vision. My astigmatism has tested at -1.5 and -1.00, which is the limit. I have been unable to get any straight answers from anyone because everyone tells me as long as my vision is 20/40 or better, I'm okay. According to the NOMI paper work that's a flat out lie. I've seen people on this forum get to OCS or API and test at -1.25 and be NPQd.
I know from reading AW that people have put in for waivers while at OCS and continued there until their waiver is approved or denied.

Charity

Final Select SNA
Yeah I have a bad refraction error even greater than yours, MEPS has all my paper work and my recruiter said that a flight surgeon looked at the work up and said no waiver was required, but like you said NOMI website says otherwise.

Yeah, MEPS didn't check the refraction error in my eye. I got my refractive error info from my own eye doc. My info was also reviewed by a flight surgeon and I was also told I'm qualified because my most recent test says my astigmatism is -1.00. My question is, what if I get to OCS and test at -1.25, that is an insignificant change that can be caused by a number of things (different doc, equipment, etc). Get a flight physical because you can get it taken care of before you go to OCS, whether you end up getting a waiver, prk, or whatever.

Charity

Final Select SNA
I know from reading AW that people have put in for waivers while at OCS and continued there until their waiver is approved or denied.

Hmm, is there a vision waiver for SNAs? Maybe there is, but I thought the standards were strictly enforced. I've read on here about people who were NPQd for astigmatism barely outside the limits and they say it wasn't waiverable. I've also read that as long as you can read the 20/20 line with a -1.00 prescription you are okay, even if your astigmatism is -1.5. So, lots of inconsistencies and I'd like to know for sure instead of getting to OCS and hoping I can get a waiver.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Whether or not they give you the flight physical in the first week of OCS, you have signed yourself in at that point and it would be very disheartening to learn after you sign up for everything and commit yourself to x number of years, that you won't be doing what you dreamed of doing.

If you'd be equally happy as an SNA or as something else, then don't worry about it too much. But if you really want to know you're good to go before you sign up... get the physical before.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Trying to clarify this for my own benefit:

You don't swear in and promise to serve until after your flight physical at OCS?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Trying to clarify this for my own benefit:

You don't swear in and promise to serve until after your flight physical at OCS?

If you're OCS, your commitment doesn't begin until you put your hand up at the end of OCS and swear in as an Ensign. If you're BDCP, your commitment starts before OCS when you swear in as an E-3.

So as OCS you'll get your flight physical AT OCS long before you'll be committed to serve. BDCP, you're committing before OCS and before your flight physical.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Talked to my recruiter. Recruiter said talk to his paperwork guy to see about getting it done. Paperwork guy said he couldn't do it and I had to wait until OCS.

*shrug*

Gnar

My recruiter had me do my flight physical yesterday at Miramar. God willing, I will report to OCS this summer. From the get go he wanted me to get the physical done. Barely passed the vision....ugg

If you're OCS, your commitment doesn't begin until you put your hand up at the end of OCS and swear in as an Ensign. If you're BDCP, your commitment starts before OCS when you swear in as an E-3.

So as OCS you'll get your flight physical AT OCS long before you'll be committed to serve. BDCP, you're committing before OCS and before your flight physical.

Is someone who signs an SNA contract required to serve the 8 years active duty if they get NPQ'd and redesignate?

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I believe you incur the 8 years if you are winged. If not, it's 4 and 4. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
My recruiter had me do my flight physical yesterday at Miramar. God willing, I will report to OCS this summer. From the get go he wanted me to get the physical done. Barely passed the vision....ugg

We should start clarifying which of us are Marines and Navy. I think that changes things. I'm Navy and as stated above was told I couldn't get one until OCS.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
20/40 borderline vision

What is "barely passing" on the vision?
I'm 20/20 in one eye, but the other is 20/40 or 20/50 depending on the day and who you ask. Most recently, the bad eye was deemed "20/40 minus". Will they take a 20/40 minus for vision in one eye with the other at 20/20???

Navy.