• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Physical Before OCS?

nugget61

pilot
What is "barely passing" on the vision?
I'm 20/20 in one eye, but the other is 20/40 or 20/50 depending on the day and who you ask. Most recently, the bad eye was deemed "20/40 minus". Will they take a 20/40 minus for vision in one eye with the other at 20/20???

Navy.

To quote the guide:
Visual Acuity, Distant and Near: Uncorrected visual acuity must not be less than 20/40 each eye, correctable to 20/20 each eye using a Goodlite eye chart. Vision testing procedures shall comply with those outlined on the Aerospace Reference and Waiver Guide Physical Exams section.

Download the waiver guide: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi
Then read section 1.6 - lotsa good info in there.

The minus means that you missed at least one on the line; like otto said, you can't miss any on 20/40 each eye to pass.

Gnar

Finished my full eye exam...failed

I did the full dilation this past Tuesday and in the end i failed. I have a -1.25 stigma in my left eye ugggggg!. Looks like I have to pay 4 grand to get my damn eyes fixed. Any one know a good PRK Doc in Orange County Ca area? I guess everyone has to jump through these hoops at one point :(

nugget61

pilot
I did the full dilation this past Tuesday and in the end i failed. I have a -1.25 stigma in my left eye ugggggg!. Looks like I have to pay 4 grand to get my damn eyes fixed. Any one know a good PRK Doc in Orange County Ca area? I guess everyone has to jump through these hoops at one point :(

Cyclo astigmatisms don't matter, its your manifest astigmatism that counts.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor

I would goto Clearview in San Diego. I highly recommend them. Highly. Check this post out...

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141505

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you're OCS, your commitment doesn't begin until you put your hand up at the end of OCS and swear in as an Ensign. If you're BDCP, your commitment starts before OCS when you swear in as an E-3.

So as OCS you'll get your flight physical AT OCS long before you'll be committed to serve. BDCP, you're committing before OCS and before your flight physical.
Something you forgot to include is that the BDCP contract will state that if you get NPQ'ed, you are released from your commitment.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Something you forgot to include is that the BDCP contract will state that if you get NPQ'ed, you are released from your commitment.

Or in my case, it said you WILL be redesignated. Only sign what you are willing to follow through with.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Ah good catch. I guess the SNA BDCP contract is different from the Nuke one besides the pay, then. Does it depend on the nature of the NPQ? Ie, if you are found to not have within 20/40 vision, redesignate, but if you suddenly get a debilitating leg injury then you are released?

Gnar

I do not remember specifically what type of stigmatism he called it. Be he immediately began to explain how to get it fixed (e.g., PRK).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ah good catch. I guess the SNA BDCP contract is different from the Nuke one besides the pay, then. Does it depend on the nature of the NPQ? Ie, if you are found to not have within 20/40 vision, redesignate, but if you suddenly get a debilitating leg injury then you are released?

Technically, no. It just says

IF medical
THEN redes
END

(sorry, a little programming humor)

But seriously, what you're talking about is sort of a conditional thing. If you suffer a debilitating injury, or find out you have some condition which NPQs you, then they may give you your walking papers if you like. That's sort of the call of those higher ranking folks.

MasterBates

It's probably changed in 9 years but my deal was "if NPQ for pilot you may walk" when I was in BDCP.

The understanding was they would want you to redes, but you wouldn't be forced. Now, if you NPQ post commissioning, that's a whole new ballgame.