• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA medical re-designation?

Conor Goodman

Has anybody heard about the recent SNA re-designations? What have they been DQing MIDN at medical for? Where are they being re-designated to and is it possible to pick up an open pilot slot now?

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
I haven't heard of this as an up and coming trend but I have heard of people getting their aviation physicals before their 1/C cruise and getting dq'd then, is that what you're talking about?

Conor Goodman

No not exactly, I know that many SNA's are getting redes to SWO because of medical... Pensacola is asking SWO's to go SNA apparently? Does this mean that NFO's are getting redes to SWO/SNA also? Sorry for the confusing topic.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
From our unit 4 SWO options were given the option (if qualified) to go SNA. Of the 4, only 2 were qualified and both declined the offer<<-- (their life, not mine) :). I talked to the CO about the situation and it was due to a shortage in SNA's but did not include the option for SNFO's to switch as we had a SEAL hopeful declined from the spec war program and dropped all the way to his 4th selection SNFO who after hearing what was going on with the shortages was hoping to switch to SNA which was his second option.

Luckily I was fortunate enough to be selected SNA off the bat so I can watch this from a distance, but it is definitely an interesting situation. I also seem to remember a similar situation happening to last years commissioning class as well, which begs the question, why is obtaining a flight slot put on such a pedestal when almost twice the amount of people are selected for pilot as there are SWO and recently we have seen this interesting offer to go SWO->SNA ?

I'm sure the answer lies somewhere in the neighborhood of fluctuation in the demand for pilots and this situation is rarely the case over time.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
No not exactly, I know that many SNA's are getting redes to SWO because of medical... Pensacola is asking SWO's to go SNA apparently? Does this mean that NFO's are getting redes to SWO/SNA also? Sorry for the confusing topic.

Sorry I forgot to quote you on my response, but the word from our CO is that no, SNFO'S will not be getting the same option to redes as SNA, this only applies to SWO options who have been medically and academically qualified to go SNA.