• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Lateral Transfer

Primarystud

Gents,

I have a question that I hope somebody here may be able to help me with. I am currently in primary, and hating it. I have stuck it out since IFS, hoping that I would like aviation more, but I have just hated it more and more.

My question is, can I laterally transfer to something such as intel, or would I have to be attritrited or DOR first? Are they currently allowing people who wash out of flight school to lat transfer, or are they being shown the door? Is an interservice transfer possible to somebody such as the AF, who needs intel officers?

I could really use the help. Thanks guys.

Dan

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Well, talk to your Class Advisor. Realize that flight school sucks. Training Commands aren't the real world and you're talking about a big decision.
Why are you hating it?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Hozer's right on. Its a big decision that you can't undo. I would encourage you to give it a little more time. Where are you in your training? What led you to flight school in the first place? PM some of us if you would like to discuss a little further offline.

Bottom line, there are several ways you can honorably serve your nation, flying isn't the only way. The thing you've got to wrap your head around though is, like I said above, you can't undo this decision once you make it.

Good luck.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Tough spot.

FWIW, post holiday/leave in January is the highest DOR month for primary SNAs. Let us know why you want to pursue quitting. I/we have counseled many a student through rough spots in training....just like I thought I wanted to quit after FAM 3 (C4003) in FEB 1995 and an IP and I had a serious talk or two to get me in the right frame of mind to continue. I am thankful he took the time to have a real talk with me and listen to my concerns. We can do the same for you. If you aren't comfortable taking the heat on the open thread then PM someone or pull aside a trusted IP in your squadron.

PMs welcome...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
FWIW, post holiday/leave in January is the highest DOR month for primary SNAs. .

I'm curious as to why? Is it from being homesick and going home reminds them of it? Or are they just not in the right frame of mind study-wise and come back to the plane and not do so well so they just quit?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I don't know about flight school, but in other training pipelines guys already hate the school they are in and go home to the folks for the holidays. After a couple of weeks of hearing mommy, daddy, sister, whatever telling them that they should do "whatever makes them happy" and "we are proud no matter what you do", their resolve to quit gets a little stronger. Not saying that's everybody, but I've seen it more than once.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Gents,

My question is, can I laterally transfer to something such as intel, or would I have to be attritrited or DOR first? Are they currently allowing people who wash out of flight school to lat transfer, or are they being shown the door?

Dan

It depends largely on the community. If Intel needs people, they'll welcome you with open arms. It fluctuates.

As an example, in the 2003-2004 FYs, it's was nearly impossible to lat xfer to the CEC as they were over end strength. Come 2007, they accepted 18 flight attrites in addition to those selected on the semi-annual lateral transfer board.

Bottom line, it's all about needs of the Navy.

Best of luck on whatever you do.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I'm curious as to why? Is it from being homesick and going home reminds them of it? Or are they just not in the right frame of mind study-wise and come back to the plane and not do so well so they just quit?

I don't know about flight school, but in other training pipelines guys already hate the school they are in and go home to the folks for the holidays. After a couple of weeks of hearing mommy, daddy, sister, whatever telling them that they should do "whatever makes them happy" and "we are proud no matter what you do", their resolve to quit gets a little stronger. Not saying that's everybody, but I've seen it more than once.

Correct.

navy09

None
Intel could be a tough gig to get; SWOs are always looking for warm bodies :icon_rage

Seriously dude, stick it out and try not to quit. Also take a look at the BUPERS site to see which communities are in need of people.

Primarystud

For me, the flying is alright. I could honestly take it or leave it. I am in the contacts stage, if that makes any difference. There are many things that I hate about primary, and I will address them via PM with a couple of you guys; I'm not comfortable going into more info on a public forum.

I have wanted to get into intel for a long time, but could not select it out of NROTC. I actually took Arabic, and some graduate level Islamic fundamentalism courses, so I am hoping to get to use all of that knowledge at least some point in my career.

Anyway, thanks for all of the help and encouragement guys.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I would say that if you're not having fun in Primary, you may not be cut out for the whole aviation thing. Primary should be a good time. Hard work, some disappointment yes, but it's a good time. But if you're going to be in the Navy, Aviation is pretty much where it's at (though even it has its down sides, such as staff work). Not knowing your situation I'd say stick it out, show up prepared and enjoy flying. I admit that the contact stage was a bit rough for me, mainly because of airsickness, but also because it's just hard to learn something new. Once you get past BIs though and you don't have to think about flying the plane so much as you just DO it, it gets a LOT more fun. Aerobatics weren't too much fun for me (see airsickness) but forms and RIs were just great.

It will get better.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Primary can be a huge asspain, especially if you are struggling. I'd encourage you to stick with it.....see how you like aerobatics and forms......for me, both of those made the hours in the sim and those shiesty contact/fam/BI/RI flights worth it. You might get to advanced and realize that you are suddenly very happy....the experience is significantly different than primary to say the least. Shoot me a PM if you care to chat; talk to your friends in other communities as well.......you may gain some insight into how the other half lives. IMHO, the worst day in flight school is still infinitely better than the best day that many of my SWO/nuke buddies have.

phrogpilot73

For what it's worth, I hated Primary until Forms.

Now, I don't want to do anything other than fly.

My advice is to stick it out past your solo and then see how you feel. I'm open to a PM as well...