• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Inter-service Transfer from USN to USMC

RoarkJr.

The last think you should concern yourself with is the opinion of random Ens and 2ndLts. If this is something you’re really interested in, go for it. At the end of the day you have to look out for yourself because you’re the only one who really can. Being a Marine sounds appealing to you because your reasons for wanting to join are true, not because there’s a koolaid phase that people wisen up to afterward.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The last think you should concern yourself with is the opinion of random Ens and 2ndLts

Are you saying that your reputation among your peers doesn't matter?

If so, you're very wrong.

In the aviation business your reputation will absolutely precede you, and it will carry a lot of weight. You will get, or lose, or never have, opportunities based on what others think of you, whether they are your peers, or whether they are junior or senior to you.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm currently an USN SNA in A-pool. I'm interested in possibly switching over to the USMC. Has anyone done the process? Or does anyone know the steps to switch over?

There’s precedent but its rare.

As mentioned, it’s been done before. Most recently on a large scale in the early 2000s when the Navy was fat on students and Marines short on them (mostly helo pilots),

If you’re serious, seek out the senior Marine at schools command get his support in getting an audience with the MATSG CO. He’s got all the juice if such a thing is going to be attempted.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
You'll love whatever you fly when you get there. Don't worry about your current biases. Plus, the airplane is only part of it. If you get your dream airplane in a bad wardroom you're gonna hate your life more than if you got blimps and a good wardroom.
You had me at blimps.
A19711324000.JPG

RoarkJr.

Are you saying that your reputation among your peers doesn't matter?

If so, you're very wrong.

In the aviation business your reputation will absolutely precede you, and it will carry a lot of weight. You will get, or lose, or never have, opportunities based on what others think of you, whether they are your peers, or whether they are junior or senior to you.
OPs current situation calls for not making his career decision based on the arbitrary opinion of SNAs in the training pipeline.

Reputation matters but not in this case.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
OPs current situation calls for not making his career decision based on the arbitrary opinion of SNAs in the training pipeline.

Reputation matters but not in this case.

Of course it matters. Do you think the senior Marine isn't going to ask around about him? Which answer to "who is this guy?" will give him a second look vs a hard no out of the gate:

1. "Well, he seems to be a loner, his peers don't really like him, won't shut up about how he doesn't want to fly some of the Navy airplanes and would rather fly Marines."
  2. "Good dude, get's along well and is squared away. We'd like to keep him, but he's a better fit with his Yut Yut peers- who he gets along with really well."
Perhaps you should wait until you have some more experience than MECEP, OCS and TBS to dish our career advice to aviators.

RoarkJr.

Of course it matters. Do you think the senior Marine isn't going to ask around about him? Which answer to "who is this guy?" will give him a second look vs a hard no out of the gate:

1. "Well, he seems to be a loner, his peers don't really like him, won't shut up about how he doesn't want to fly some of the Navy airplanes and would rather fly Marines."
  2. "Good dude, get's along well and is squared away. We'd like to keep him, but he's a better fit with his Yut Yut peers- who he gets along with really well."
Perhaps you should wait until you have some more experience than MECEP, OCS and TBS to dish our career advice to aviators.
We are talking about completely different things here. I’m talking about the arbitrary opinions about the OPs specific decision. As in, the OP should not be worried about what other people think about his decision to look into an IST. That is not the same thing as saying “reputation does not matter.”

Of course reputation matters. But we weren’t talking about reputation in general, reputation was brought up specifically in regard to the risk to it if he asked about the IST. Apologies, I didn’t communicate that clearly enough.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm completely good with staying on the path I'm on and I'm thankful to be here. My perspective is if the opportunity is there why not take it. Personally I would be happy to being a Naval Aviator in both the Navy and the Marines. However, I find my self really admiring Marine Corps Aviation mission of supporting the Marine on the ground.

I do understand my view point of the Marine Corps is from outside perspective. So, I get that I could sound completely idiotic right now. Is it truly not worth switching if the opportunity is there? Is the Marine Corps and Marine Aviation not worth it, compared to Navy Aviation?
Was the process of switching for you that much of a headache? One thing about the Marines I appreciate is I would honestly love to fly every aircraft they offer. On the Navy side, I can't honestly say that.

I think if you understood the current status of USMC Aviation better, particularly while mostly in garrison, you'd not be thinking the same way. What makes you think USN and USAF and USA aviators don't support guys on the ground? USN TACAIR and helos support "guys on the ground." USN P-8s and 60Rs support dudes on ships (who are also Americans trying to do their jobs, often in far more strategically important situations than boots on the ground). USN TACAMO supports dudes underwater, who strategically are more important than anyone we've talked about in this discussion so far. What makes you think you'll like USMC aviation better aside from the culture of "I'm a Marine?"

It's not a lost cause, but as others have suggested, I'd not bring it up in the presence of peers or instructors. Go talk to a Marine instructor one on one or one at MATSG-21 if you're serious and see what they say.