• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Inter-service Transfer from USN to USMC

TyKing

pilot
I'm currently an USN SNA in A-pool. I'm interested in possibly switching over to the USMC. Has anyone done the process? Or does anyone know the steps to switch over?

0621 Hertz

Never done it or know how to do it but I know its been done before. John Glenn and General Jim Amos being famous examples.

Pretty sure they send you to TBS after you get your wings, or whenever they can slot you.

Have a particular reason why you want to do this?

TyKing

pilot
Never done it or know how to do it but I know its been done before. John Glenn and General Jim Amos being famous examples.

Pretty sure they send you to TBS after you get your wings, or whenever they can slot you.

Have a particular reason why you want to do this?
For a while now, I've had a strong desire to be a Marine Officer. I really respect the culture and warrior ethos of the Marine Corps and I believe I would be a good fit as a Marine officer. Also, as a SNA I really admire the Marines ethos of supporting the Marine on the ground and would love to do that mission. Leading Marines and supporting them in the air as a Naval Aviator would be a great honor.

I previously tried to pursue commissioning in the Marines, however, I was trying to do so while I was still enlisted in the Air Force and no Marine recruiter really gave me a shot. Now I'm a Naval Officer and I'm extremely thankful to be where I am now. If theres an opportunity to switch over and become a Marine Aviator, I think I would take it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Dude. That shit happened in the 80s to guys who were the exceptions that proved the rule. If an OSO wouldn't talk to you, there's probably a reason for it. TBS sucks anyways.

So stop sucking, go to flight school and learn to fly airplanes. Maybe you'll get to fly one that says NAVY on the side of it. If you do, you'll probably be glad that you aren't flying something that says MARINES on the side of it.

If you've told anyone this in person they already think that you're a douchebag. The best that can happen now is for them to say, 'Hey, remember that time you wanted to be Marine?!" And then make fun of you for wanting to eat crayons, while you tuck your tail between your legs and feel shame.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I knew of two dudes that did this around 2006, when I was in flight school. They both ‘transitioned’, finished flight school, and then went to TBS prior to the rag.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Dude. That shit happened in the 80s to guys who were the exceptions that proved the rule. If an OSO wouldn't talk to you, there's probably a reason for it. TBS sucks anyways.

So stop sucking, go to flight school and learn to fly airplanes. Maybe you'll get to fly one that says NAVY on the side of it. If you do, you'll probably be glad that you aren't flying something that says MARINES on the side of it.

If you've told anyone this in person they already think that you're a douchebag. The best that can happen now is for them to say, 'Hey, remember that time you wanted to be Marine?!" And then make fun of you for wanting to eat crayons, while you tuck your tail between your legs and feel shame.
So what I'm hearing is NO?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you do successfully transfer, just make sure you finish your career flying in the Army NG so you can say you served in all four branches.*

* USCG and USSF don’t count

Pags

N/A
pilot
I knew of two dudes that did this around 2006, when I was in flight school. They both ‘transitioned’, finished flight school, and then went to TBS prior to the rag.
Yep, was a big thing in that timeframe as the USMC needed pilots. My VT onwing was a Marine and asked me to consider it. At the time you had to talk to the senior Marine and then stuff happened at MATSG. No idea if it's still a thing.

TyKing

pilot
This is dumb, and looking back on this an a few years you will cringe when you think about it.
stay the course and don’t be a boner.
I'm completely good with staying on the path I'm on and I'm thankful to be here. My perspective is if the opportunity is there why not take it. Personally I would be happy to being a Naval Aviator in both the Navy and the Marines. However, I find my self really admiring Marine Corps Aviation mission of supporting the Marine on the ground.

I do understand my view point of the Marine Corps is from outside perspective. So, I get that I could sound completely idiotic right now. Is it truly not worth switching if the opportunity is there? Is the Marine Corps and Marine Aviation not worth it, compared to Navy Aviation?

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Dude, just stay on the blue side. As someone who’s been commissioned into both, yes the cultures are different, but they’re not that that different in the air wings. Not worth the effort IMO, especially the idea of going to TBS after you wing. Yuck.

Edit: you’ve probably been talking to some young lieutenant’s that were/are still a little too moto coming out of TBS. Don’t drink the kool-aide that hard.

TyKing

pilot
Dude, just stay on the blue side. As someone who’s been commissioned into both, yes the cultures are different, but they’re not that that different in the air wings. Not worth the effort IMO, especially the idea of going to TBS after you wing. Yuck.
Was the process of switching for you that much of a headache? One thing about the Marines I appreciate is I would honestly love to fly every aircraft they offer. On the Navy side, I can't honestly say that.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I met two that switched. One was at TBS, he had completed the F-18 rag then switched over and was the only O-3 student at TBS. The other was a former enlisted SEAL who supposedly selected helos then worked a deal to switch green and flew harriers. Both were outstanding dudes.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Was the process of switching for you that much of a headache? One thing about the Marines I appreciate is I would honestly love to fly every aircraft they offer. On the Navy side, I can't honestly say that.
You'll love whatever you fly when you get there. Don't worry about your current biases. Plus, the airplane is only part of it. If you get your dream airplane in a bad wardroom you're gonna hate your life more than if you got blimps and a good wardroom.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm completely good with staying on the path I'm on and I'm thankful to be here. My perspective is if the opportunity is there why not take it. Personally I would be happy to being a Naval Aviator in both the Navy and the Marines. However, I find my self really admiring Marine Corps Aviation mission of supporting the Marine on the ground.

Ah, so a couple of wiki articles and the glossy pamphlet got ya huh? Or was is the lava monster commercial? That was is pretty badass.

If it's something that you really want to do, and you're willing to potentially risk your reputation on it (word travels fast- especially about ENS and 2ndLt "that guy" shenanigans) , go talk to a Marine in the MOC at MATSG about possibilities of an interservice transfer. My gut feeling is that they have more than enough SNAs to fill their slots. Competitive air contracts at TBS generally take care of those lean times if they have them.

One thing about the Marines I appreciate is I would honestly love to fly every aircraft they offer. On the Navy side, I can't honestly say that.

Here's the thing man, you really have no idea what kind of airplane you'll like to fly yet. Just like everyone shows up to TBS wanting to be an infantry officer- everyone shows up to primary wanting to be a fighter pilot.

Earn your wings, fly something that says NAVY, and work the career that's got it's door wide open to you- not the one that you're going to have to Hulk Smash through a few brick walls to get to the starting point.