• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA "Flight school post

Status
Not open for further replies.

RENEGADE

Would anyone be able to tell me what the most successful (top of class) student naval aviators in flight school tend to study in college. (Statistically what kind of major do many of them study?)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
from what i've seen, there appears to be exactly zero correlation between college majors and success in flight school. just because you may know how to design an airplane (for example) doesn't mean you know **** about flying one. correllation does not equal causation.

NotABusDriver

Im guessing you will be competing with at least one person there who has a bajillion flight hours that has been instructing for 5 years. You could still whoop their ass, if you wanted to.

The Cheat is Grounded!

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Crowbar said:
The Cheat is not dead!

I thought everyone knew that this website is infact powered by The Cheat! They are selling stuffed The Cheat dolls on homestarrunner.com now.

Your college major has absolutely nothing to do with how well you will be able to fly an airplane. The study skills you get from doing your college work will have a direct impact on well you do though, so no matter if you are a general arts major or a CE, get the study skills down early.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's all about pace of study. The school I went to decided that a 7 week term was equivalent to a 12 week semester. The pace for API and Primary was nothing new to me, it was simple. If you're a slow, lazy learner though, it's time to kick it in high gear.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I would say that college major has almost no effect on your grades. However, there is a high probability between prior flight time and outstanding grades.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not exactly a voice of authority, being in Primary and all, but I'd say college major has nothing to do with flying grades. It can help with systems and such, but that's only a small part of it.

zilber

pilot
From what I have seen, if you had a difficult major in college, which required you to manage your time wisely, you will have the "time management skills" needed to succeed...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to say that if I had studied half as much in college as I have through flight training, I would've graduated with a 4.0.

/bucking the study habits and time management skills since graduation :)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think there's a correlation between a college major and the number of times the "I Believe" button is pressed. For understanding aircraft systems better, an engineering background (especially systems eng) would help. For stick and rudder, that's up for grabs. It never seems to get a student anywhere if he knows more about a system than the instructor. Therefore, in answering the original question, a person's work-habit, learning apptitude, and personality go much further than a college major would in determining odds of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.