• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SNA Applicant standards - Seasonal Allergies

Dive_pilot

Anyone have gouge with regards to applicants suffering from seasonal allergies? I've seen in the NAMI guide that it's not considered disqualifying and all that's required is a visual examination and a Waters X-ray before being cleared (provided it's controlled with approved meds). However, it's my understanding that applicants are under higher scrutiny than designated aviators and those standards may not be the same and not listed in the NAMI guide (ie. PRK waiver submission time frame difference between applicants and designated). Is there any difference or are they the same in this area? Thanks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I said on my initial physical that I had minor seasonal allergies. Wasn't really an issue; I think they took some extra x-rays to ensure that there was no sinus damage but other than that it wasn't a problem. I had some minor allergies here in Meridian last summer, and the flight doc prescribed me Allegra and a nasal spray. Both were ok for flight status and the problem cleared right up.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
You mention minor seasonal allergies, how about anything more severe? I had somewhat severe seasonal allergies as a child but after 3 years of weekly shots they cleared up (for about 10 years anyways). So when I enlisted it asked if I had any allergies so I said no because I had years of relief with no problems at all. Now that I'm two years from flight school they are starting to come back. While at Newport, RI last year I started to notice their return. Not sure if the different environment maybe triggered them to start back up but they are definitely causing me problems again.

So back to the "minor" seasonal allergies question, is this something that will probably hurt me during my NAMI physical or as a career pilot? Any pilots out there who have allergies (worse than minor) or know the policy or instruction covering this? I'm currently at college now so maybe I should look into finding another "cure" before I graduate and head to Pensacola. Any ideas?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I had seasonal allergies during my NAMI visit back in OCS. I told them about it. They'll probably X-Ray your sinuses and prescribe you claritin (that's what happened in my case). No biggie, and fairly common from what I understand.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Godspeed is right, seasonal allergies are not a big issue...let the Navy docs give you stuff to make it go away.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
I was pretty much the same as everyone else that's posted. I've marked on my PHA's since I joined that I had seasonal allergies and that Claratin usually cleared things up. I didn't have any problems getting in. The only extra thing they did on my SNA physical was X-Ray my skull, the doc said he wanted to make sure I didn't have chronic sinusitis. I didn't, and nothing else was ever said about it. You should be fine.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Thanks to all, I appreciate the help. That's a weight off my shoulders. Now I just have to make myself go to all my classes, well at least most.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I said I had season allergies. They X-ray your sinuses and prescribe you whatever works. In my case I've had Flonase since the NAMI physical (3.5 years or so).

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Off topic but what type of aircraft was your avatar picture taken in ac2NASTY?

I managed a flight with the Test Pilot School in a T-38 at my last duty station (NHK). I found a prior enlisted instructor there to help me with my STA-21 package and he offered to give me a flight in either a T-38 or T-6. Was an easy choice for me. That flight was one of the most exciting times of my life as he let me do a lot of the flying.