• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sleep

H20man

Drill baby drill!
OK, i know at my school this happens but for you guys at USNA,

Do yall have trouble staying awake in class?

During indoc the DIs told us that we would be falling asleep in our classes
(i laughed at this because in HS i never had any problem staying awake during classes)

Well first week into academics i was doing the head bob, feeling like all the energy had been sucked out of my body.

Of course this still continued throughout the year, but not occuring as much as the year progessed especially after we got recognized at the end of March.

Now that im back from sea, its pretty easy to stay awake, except for some of those days where its impossible to keep your eyes from rolling back into your head.

Its always fun to prank the guy who passes out hard, ie leave him in the room leaving him to wake up confused as to what is going on.

Then again its funny as shit when teachers throw stuff at em, such as chalk and books.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Falling asleep during plebe year is definitely an issue, but you can get fried for it so most people do whatever it takes to stay awake. When I say fried I mean that your company officer will find out and bad stuff will happen to you. The midshipman store sells red bull by the palat (sp?). I stayed up for 4 days straight during army week with all the late night festivities, I think the professors understand it to a certain degree during army week. As far as playing pranks on someone who fell asleep after class in their room or something, I would say most people are pretty good shipmates and either wake you up or stand watch to make sure upper class dont come in. It varies from company to company how crazy the upperclass are with catching sleeping plebes.

ip568

None
we called it "the nods"

It's 0235, over a moonless, flat sea, dark as the inside of a cow, 13 1/2 hours into a 16 hour mission... no contacts the entire mission... the four T56s drone on...cabin is dark except for station lights...your eyes have actually swollen shut and feel like two balls of hot, gummy pus after looking at a CRT display for the past 10 hours with no relief...your head keeps slowly falling forward until it snaps to a stop and you get that sizzling jolt of neck pain... drag head back up once again... look at display through watering eyes... must be like this in the 4th circle of Hell...this is your eighth mission in the last ten days... you really have to take a dump but refuse to be the first one to use the bucket and thus owe the crew a case of beer...only 165 days to go until the end of deployment...Navy career, anyone? :sleep_125

H20man

Drill baby drill!
for us more or less the teachers would wake us up in class, most teachers dont stick you here (i guess there its a fry), unless they are a true hardass, which some are and some will, which gets you a week of restriction and some ED.

Here at this school i guess its kind of understood, the big no no is on watch though, that will get you into a lot of trouble.

As far as sleeping in rooms, the desks we had, had this nice little craw space under them, which was big enough to fit in with legs bent, all we had to do was pull up our sea chest to the base of the desk and put the chair there and no one would see you, scared my roomie on few occasions.

Now, really dont have to worry about it, being a 3/c with associated privileges, and especially only being here for 4 months then going out to sea again.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
YEah... I had the falling asleep in class issue. Actually got caught snoring once.
What happened depended on the prof.

Had a Marine ECMO that would put you in the lean and rest for about 10-15 minutes. A civilian prof that would let you sleep, but no EI if you missed what was in class. A F-14 RIO that would throw stuff at you.

End all be all... had I not slept through a good portion of USNA academics, I may have graduated with a 3-something and maybe an SNA billet instead of a SNFO (saved from a life of SWOdom at the last minute) with a 2.5.

phrogpilot73

I've actually nodded off at the controls after a 8 hour flight on goggles... Thank god we're multi-piloted - I handed over the controls...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sleep ??? That's what I find at the bottom of a bottle of whiskey. Just kidding :) , hyper-warriors.

When you fly the Orient/Pacific ... you lose one night's sleep every three nights you are flying in the Orient --- scheduling, time zones, that's the way it is .... soooooooooo ...... on a 12 day trip --- you get @ 8 nights of sleep. Not to mention that you have to fly when your body wants to sleep and you have to sleep when your body wants to stay awake. Confused ??? No problem ....

I have been doing the commercial thing --- not even counting the Navy --- for 28 years and I figure that I have lost approximately 1680 nights of sleep as a result. They're just gone --- you don't get them back. Simple arithmetic say that's about 4 1/2 years of sleep --- every single night of it. I and my compadres are tired --- all the time.

But that's the breaks of commercial air -- international style.

It could also explain why I am 38 years old and look like I'm 98 ... you should do as well ...... :sleep_125

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TheBubba said:
YEah... I had the falling asleep in class issue. Actually got caught snoring once.
What happened depended on the prof.

Had a Marine ECMO that would put you in the lean and rest for about 10-15 minutes. A civilian prof that would let you sleep, but no EI if you missed what was in class. A F-14 RIO that would throw stuff at you.

End all be all... had I not slept through a good portion of USNA academics, I may have graduated with a 3-something and maybe an SNA billet instead of a SNFO (saved from a life of SWOdom at the last minute) with a 2.5.

Hey....I think that was me! :sleep_125

I always told my classes: "They are allowed to sleep, but only when I sleep."

Stand up, move around...no teacher will cite you for trying to stay awake. Saw a female mid fall asleep standing up once...she fell over.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
falling asleep standing up, have nearly been there on a few occasions, but the worst is when you start losing control of your eyes.

start getting the double vision or the eyes start to roll in the back of your head.