• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skyraider Video Clip

dilbert123

pilot
Great video, thanks for posting. I went through the VT-1 as a student just as the Spad squadrons had been closed and a lot of the instructors we had at both Saufley and Whiting were ex-Spad drivers. They were all crazy to a man, really funny guys and risk takers, no fear. As a student at Whiting my instructor, an ex-Spad guy, ran into a buddy who was on a cross country in a queer Spad who stopped off for fuel. They arranged to meet in the air and do some wifferdills. I was in the front cockpit while my instructor flew wing on the Spad and we flew such close formation through any numbers of loops and rolls that I almost wet my flight suit- I thought on several occasions our prop was going to slice right into the tail of the Spad. God that was fun. They would talk about returning from missions and doing low rolls as they came across the destroyers. They were a great bunch, and what an aircraft.

yak52driver

Contributor
Great video! I have always liked the Spad. I was waiting to take off during an air show this summer waiting while a Spad was finishing his routine, he rolled in on me and flew right overhead, VERY cool to see that view. Afterwards the pilot asked if I minded and I said "Hell no!"

jmcquate

Contributor
Great looking SPAD. I think there's another one flying with an outfit near VA Beach.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the smoke on start up, but do they normally burn oil when power is reduced on landing like that?

Flugelman

Contributor
I understand the smoke on start up, but do they normally burn oil when power is reduced on landing like that?
R-3350... If it ain't smokin, it ain't runnin...

On the P-2's, one of the more onerous crew duties was the wipedown on post-flight. Rags soaked with 115-145 from the tank drains. ASOs today would have a craptatious fit. :icon_tong

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The Old Man and the AD

I just sent that clip to my father. It will make his day I'm sure. Below is my favorite picture of him. 24 years old posing with his favorite aircraft. Taken in Korea I believe at K-13.

1st Lt Galloway at 24 001.jpg

blackbart22

pilot
It was not unusual for the Guppy (AD-5W) to "burn" over twenty gallons of oil on a four hour mission. I once landed at Nellis, checked my oil and told the Air Force guy that I needed twenty gallons of non-detergent oil. The AF was using hi-detergent oil at the time. He said "You mean twenty quarts, sir." and I said "No, twenty gallons." He said "Oh shit". He left and came back with eighty quart cans and two spouts. Took a while working together to top off the oil tank.