• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skyhawk History... The Lost Nuke!

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
That's very interesting, Chief. I take it the alert bird was an F-8? I have this extract from the log dated 28 October 65 when the ship was enroute Hawaii to Subic (docked on 1 November for 4 days). One crewman says that saboteurs were arrested and sent to Leavenworth, but there's no evidence in the logs. Do you think the incident in the log is the same as you knew of, or did that happen while you were aboard (after 1 November)?JT

This 78 year old brain cannot confirm the exact dates. My computer will not allow me to open the log extract, but it was clearly the same incident so it had to be late October when i flew aboard the Tico for what should have been a two week mission, it could have been longer. I was told that the saboteur (singular as I remember) was apprehended. I remember more about the mission, the incident was a sidebar. I flewoff the Tico then back to Cubi Point:(:( never to return to the Tico. I do not know if it was a Crusader that was damaged. I would not have know the final disposition of the case so cannot comment on Leavenworth.

During the period, late 1964 thru early 1969 I was aboard just about every birdfarm in WESTPAC, usually two weeks or so. My focus was the EA-3B(x) and EB-66.

Not related: But I thought that circa 1966 that all WESPAC CVA's were taken off SIOP tasking?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not related: But I thought that circa 1966 that all WESPAC CVA's were taken off SIOP tasking?
Thinkin' it was a couple of years later, as we were still "crew-cutting" on RANGER '66, & CONNIE '67. Perhaps they forgot to tell us. I remember it causing a lot of ass pain & heartache amid the heavy combat op tempo, constant unreps/working parties/drills, etc. Proper rest for flight & maint. crews, & other flight quarters personnel, was scarce indeed!:(
BzB

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Thinkin' it was a couple of years later, as we were still "crew-cutting" on RANGER '66, & CONNIE '67.....

Reflecting I think it may have been shortly after the Tet Offensive and the capture of the USS Pueblo by the DPRK, two events that "happened" in tandem. I do remember decrypting the OEO message of direction, placing the date more difficult. Getting old is great, with some minor limitations.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Getting old is great, with some minor limitations.
El Jefe', I'm the same age as you, but you're probably wayyyy older (I'm 05DEC'34). I was taught great respect for my elders, SIR!;)
attachment-13.gif
*Getting older beats hell out of the alternative, duh!
BzB