• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Skipping IFS

ForTheBoys

pilot
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I apologize in advance if I say/ask something everyone is tired of hearing.

I'm a firstie at the Academy, and there is now a program offered to aviation-hopefuls in the summer before firstie year known as Powered Flight. The intent of the program is to expose midshipmen to flying and simulate flight school. It is primarily run by Naval Aviators who are currently military instructors and staff at the Academy. There is a ground school portion that runs parallel to ground and air instruction at a local airfield. Successful completion of the program culminates in a solo (1 of 10 flight hours) and validation of IFS.

I went through the program and did fine. However, this is the only flight experience I have and by the time I get to flight school next summer/fall, it will have been over a year since I flew. I believe I have the option to still attend IFS if I want to. I would like advice regarding whether or not it would be a good idea to go through IFS or go straight to API. If I should skip IFS, please let me know if it would be a good idea to log a few more hours before I go to Pensacola.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I wouldn't bother. I got a PPL for Rotorcraft my senior year in high school, enlisted, yadda yadda, when I got to API I hadn't flown in 8 years (and no hours fixed wing) and I did fine. API is all book work/studying. Plus, no time in a Cessna will get you ready for T-6B work, that's why there are sims at primary. YMMV, but that's my advice.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
They wouldn't allow you to skip it if it wasn't an acceptable risk to you and the Navy.

Your summer program is probably a big cost avoidance - but the Navy can't capture those benefits if everyone attends redundant training.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Keep in mind that IFS is introduction and screening to flying and flight school - a gentle reality check to screen to see if 1) you really want to do it, and 2) are adaptable (airsickness, study discipline, etc). It's not really instruction per se. So if you did something IFS-ish at school already and passed, there's nothing really to be gained by doing IFS again.

Alto53

pilot
Pensacola has been training aviators, and fairly successful ones at that, for quite a long time! From the farm fields to the city, and everywhere in between, many had never even flown in an aircraft, much less have 'prior experience' operating one. The experience prior private pilots bring to Pensacola can be anything from beneficial to a hindrance, because the Navy will teach 'their' way of instruction. If the Student has too many established habits (which may need some altering) that can be problematic, however if they're simply more comfortable in the air due to past experience, that can be beneficial. Chances are you'll do just fine with what you've already done.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Keep in mind that IFS is introduction and screening to flying and flight school - a gentle reality check to screen to see if 1) you really want to do it, and 2) are adaptable (airsickness, study discipline, etc). It's not really instruction per se. So if you did something IFS-ish at school already and passed, there's nothing really to be gained by doing IFS again.

To add to that, if you've already done an IFS type program, don't repeat IFS and give them another chance to boot you from the program. Although rare, I have seen attrited from IFS. Why expose yourself to the risk? If you get bad instruction and it just doesn't "click" it may not work out. I think this is less likely in to happen in primary as the instruction is much better.

Just the $.02 from someone who really struggled in IFS and did just fine in primary.

nukon

pilot
IFS is a good time - 'work' days are 2-4 hours in a polo shirt and shorts, and it's free (for you) low/no stress flying. It was a good transition from 'devil-may-care' post-TBS mindset to a more focused pre-API mindset for me.

I believe if you find a way to attrite during IFS, your days were numbered. The one attrition I heard of was a behavioral issue. A dude legitimately very nearly crashed a plane and graduated.

I'm not sure why the Navy would let you do IFS if you're a validator via Powered Flight, but, most people I know down here enjoyed IFS. YMMV, but I certainly missed my days at Foley International during API.