• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sinus problems

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Hey, just got done with meeting with the flight surgeon for the NOMI physical and after looking at an xray of my sinuses they say I might have an infection and I'm going to meet with an ENT on Monday. I'm ready to start API but no dice now and I'm med down. I have my license and I went flying last week without any problems (never went above 2500 ft though) and I don't really feel anything so I hope it's not too bad but what are your guys experiences with sinus infections and how they play out?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Question: Was the x-ray part of the physical, or did you have it done for some other reason?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It was part of the physical. They found out I had allergies in the past so they wanted to do a sinus xray.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Hey, just got done with meeting with the flight surgeon for the NOMI physical and after looking at an xray of my sinuses they say I might have an infection and I'm going to meet with an ENT on Monday. I'm ready to start API but no dice now and I'm med down. I have my license and I went flying last week without any problems (never went above 2500 ft though) and I don't really feel anything so I hope it's not too bad but what are your guys experiences with sinus infections and how they play out?

Don't screw around with it. You run the risk of *really* goofing up your sinuses instead of kinda goofing them up. Take your meds until they are gone then start API fresh and ready to go. I've seen too many guys try to fly, or ride the chamber, while nursing a minor infection that turned into blown sinuses.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
What Feddoc said.

They did the sinus X Ray on me after a ROUGH year of infection, bronchitis and allerigies. Everything turned out OK and the ENT put me on year-round Flonase. If they offer it, take it, tis a miracle drug.

Griz

Ditto on all that was said above - back in the '70s, the doc handed us a bottle of Afrin and told us "use it if you have to get down - tell anyone who gave it to you and I'll lose your shot records." Guess it was restricted stuff way back then.

I had a sinus squeeze in the E-2 once on the Nimitz. Barely made it to sick bay, on the verge of passing out. Haven't had many things that hurt that bad. Many years later, after chronic sinus infections, blockages, and other problems, I had a deviated septum repaired, sinus turbinates reduced, and numerous polyps removed. No sinus problems since then. Flonaze for the occasional allergy congestion works wonders. Only flying civilian now, so not as big a deal as it once was.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I met with the flight surgeon and after shoving a camera up my nose, they determined there was nothing wrong at all. The initial xray they used to look at things wasn't very clear so they decided to go in for a "closer" look. I felt pretty violated but it's good to know there's nothing wrong, haha. Hopefully I can class up now.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I met with the flight surgeon and after shoving a camera up my nose, they determined there was nothing wrong at all. The initial xray they used to look at things wasn't very clear so they decided to go in for a "closer" look. I felt pretty violated but it's good to know there's nothing wrong, haha. Hopefully I can class up now.

mmmmm, sure could go for another experience w/ the nasal speculum;):tongue2_1

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Feddoc said.

They did the sinus X Ray on me after a ROUGH year of infection, bronchitis and allerigies. Everything turned out OK and the ENT put me on year-round Flonase. If they offer it, take it, tis a miracle drug.
Agreed. Only had sinus trouble once, in fifth grade, but my allergies force me to do the same. Flight doc gave me the Allegra/Flonase combo and it works wonders. Which is a good thing, as everything I've heard about sinus surgery leads me to believe it's a horrible and possibly career-ending experience . . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Which is a good thing, as everything I've heard about sinus surgery leads me to believe it's a horrible and possibly career-ending experience . . .

I was potentially faced w/ such an option last year, and the word from several ENT docs was that it wasn't as big a deal as people make it out to be and you can be up w/in several months. As it turned out, there didn't seem to be a need for the surgery, but had it happened, I was feeling a little better about it. Another guy in my squadron had had it before I was going through this, and he was saying it wasn't all that bad either. He's flying now, as well.

Of course, not advocating flying w/ congestion, as that's definitely the one that can potentially end your flying.

subTidal

Perhaps this question is more appropriate for the "Stupid Questions..." thread, but after searching, this thread was all I could find.

Out of pure idle curiosity, I was wondering how a pilot who is wearing an oxygen mask clears his/her ears since, I'm assuming (hopefully correctly), the Valsalva is not an option.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Perhaps this question is more appropriate for the "Stupid Questions..." thread, but after searching, this thread was all I could find.

Out of pure idle curiosity, I was wondering how a pilot who is wearing an oxygen mask clears his/her ears since, I'm assuming (hopefully correctly), the Valsalva is not an option.

Depends on the oxygen mask size. With the larger ones you can, there is a little place to pinch the nose, with smaller ones you have to do a forceful cough I believe (not certain as I don't have that size mask).

MasterBates

I can valsalva if I need to with the mask on. ONCE I had to pop it to clear, but I was coming down with a ear infunktion and did not know it yet.

srqwho

pilot
After recurring sinus issues in the plane, (following an epic sinus squeeze/barotrauma) I had the sinus surgery (FESS - functional endoscopic sinus surgery) recently. Does anybody have experience with the recovery, or have had the surgery? So far I am pleased with the level of post-op pain and discomfort. Besides being a mouth-breather for the next week or so, the pain is manageable for the most part. I am curious if I have a chamber run in my future once the ENT clears me back to see the flight doc? I know that he'll tell me one way or the other, but that's a couple weeks out.

FWIW, I never had issues in the 34 (for obvious reasons), and the 45 was treating me well until the last leg of an XC... righteous pain/pressure/blood on an easy descent out of 280 for an ASR. I was med-down for 3 weeks and was cleared back up... after a couple flights after getting med-up I started to get some pain/pressure. I had a CT done of my sinuses and the ENT said that he needed to fix a few things and that I had done some damage.