• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"SINK OR SWIM"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

I am kind of a weak swimmer however, I have been taking swimming lessons as well as Scuba to increase my skills. I read on another post that SNA's and NFO canidates go to the pool regulary as part of OCS. My recruiter keeps reasurring me not to worry about it, because I'll be very profient by the time I complete OCS and enter API. So I guess its pretty much "Sink or Swim". Does anyone out there have any additional info regarding this because I have heard that swimming is one of the biggest parts of API, especially that 1 mile endurance swim. Another buddy of mine has the same concern, so If anyone has any info, it will be greatly appreciated.

Stephen J. Hall

nickou23

This reminds me of another question I had about this. The swim test mentions a prone float for some amount of time (I think 5 min), I read about a similar sort of thing in API. There is one problem, I don't float, just sort of sink legs first. Tried everything, lungs full of air etc. Its been this way for years. I imagine this is not uncommon, is it OK to tread?

bassethound

Hey some advice on the floating portion of your training. You are going to have to float no matter what. It sucks, especially with full gear on. I float really easy, the treading is what got me almost. I would suggest getting in about 8 feet of water and try practicing by sculling your hands a little when you are floating. Also, tuck your chin it really helps quite a bit. Hope that helps

Its a matter of how bad do you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.