• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Singapore 777 catches fire just after emergency landing

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...e-catches-fire-while-making-emergency-landing

A plane carrying 241 people has caught fire as it made an emergency landing at Singapore’s Changi Airport.

Passenger on Singapore Airlines Flight SQ368 from Changi Airport to Milan said they clapped as the jet made what appeared to be a smooth emergency landing. But seconds later, the right engine and wing were ablaze, with flames engulfing the right side of the jet.

No one was injured aboard the Boeing 777-300ER but the 222 passengers and 19 crew had to wait on board for several agonising minutes while emergency services sped over to the plane and doused it with water and foam.

Not sure why the captain did not call for an emergency evacuation...

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Not sure why the captain did not call for an emergency evacuation...

Yeah.... I think Albie put it best when he characterized it as "criminally negligent of duty". On one hand I understand the fear of having 300 mouth-breathers milling about within a few dozen yards of responding emergency vehicles, but this could very easily have been another Saudia 163.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudia_Flight_163

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those people are pretty calm.
It must have been a cultural thing. You know, following authority, group dynamics and all. No matter the decision or indecision of the Captain, in the US that would have gotten a flight attendant acting unilaterally on her own judgement or passengers going rogue and blowing a door.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So for the airline guys, should they have evacuated? Keeping in mind how many fatalities have resulted from smoke inhalation in aviation mishaps I would have been inclined to 'go rogue' and gotten the hell out of there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So for the airline guys, should they have evacuated? Keeping in mind how many fatalities have resulted from smoke inhalation in aviation mishaps I would have been inclined to 'go rogue' and gotten the hell out of there.
Ahhh...in keeping with AW decorum regarding speculation...ahhh, ya know, I would have been helping you with the door (whether as a seatmate in the cabin or from the cockpit, oops, did I say that?).

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahhh...in keeping with AW decorum regarding speculation...ahhh, ya know, I would have been helping you with the door (whether as a seatmate in the cabin or from the cockpit, oops, did I say that?).

Okay, good enough for me.

I keep thinking about the Navy officer and a few others that ignored instructions to stay on the Metro train in DC last year and walked down the track to safety. It took over 40 minutes for the fire department to respond and one person died with several more injured, all the while the train kept filling up with smoke.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was thinking if the fire dept was right there, and one whole side of the aircraft was ablaze that getting out might not be smart to try and...

Yeah, never mind. If it's on fire, I'm gonna GTFO.

And probably get hit by a fire truck, but I'll take that chance over going kaboom any day.