• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Simultaneous NROTC/USMCR membership?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBehr

Hello. I am currently a high school senior and have been enlisted in the Marine Corps DEP for several months. I recently received word that my 4 year NROTC scholarship has been approved and I have decided to attend the college that I have been assigned to. After discussing it with my recruiters, they have told me that I can either be completely discharged or that I can go into the reserves while I am in college. I would do my Marine Corps Reserve training via the IIADT program (under this program a college student goes to bootcamp before freshmen year and then does MCT/skill training the next summer). They also told me that because of my NROTC affiliation I would be in a non-deployable status. Has anyone heard of this being done? I am aware that the Army has the Simultaneous Membership Program which allows ROTC cadets to be members of a reserve unit at the same time but I have never heard of this being done with the Navy/Marines. However, my recruiters have told me that another enlistee from their office who also received an NROTC scholarship is doing this. Is it really possible? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Navyfan06

pilot
Yes this is true. There are alot of kids at my school who are in the reserves and either PLC contracted or Scholarship contracted. They still do their drills and receive their reserve pay. Also they are non-deployable because of their officer contract. Hope this helps.

Crowbar

None
Navyfan06 said:
Yes this is true. There are alot of kids at my school who are in the reserves and either PLC contracted or Scholarship contracted. They still do their drills and receive their reserve pay. Also they are non-deployable because of their officer contract. Hope this helps.

There's a pretty black and white answer to this listed in the instruction that covers NROTC (1533.12_). Allow me to quote:

"All NROTC students must be released from their present enlistment contract and terminate their affiliation with drilling reserve units, except for College Program students in the basic course. College Program students in the Basic Course may continue their affiliation with a drilling reserve unit until eligible for benefits upon enrollment in advanced standing. Members of Reserve components must be discharged from their present enlist-ment contract and enlisted under the provisions of the NROTC Program to facilitate Scholarship or College Program (advanced course) enrollment."

Status
Not open for further replies.