• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Significant Other Question--Female Officer Perspective

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Oddly, mostly military women I've seen have a military spouse.

He'd better have a somewhat manly job, or the guys in the squadron will think he's Martha Stewart.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
Oddly, mostly military women I've seen have a military spouse.

He'd better have a somewhat manly job, or the guys in the squadron will think he's Martha Stewart.

That doesn't surprise me actually. I guess it's just who you meet.

I mean, I don't date pansies. That being said, he's a really good cook. Hahaha.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Actually, I'd recommend something like gourmet chef for his job- then he will be invited to all the spouses club meetings.

or in keeping with this thread... male model

chasejj

SWO? What is this "SWO" you speak of?
Hey anghockey, I am in the same boat you are. I am going Navy OCS, who knows when for sure, and my boyfriend is not. He couldnt get in, depression, and we have been going through different avenues of thought on what to do. We have been together for 4 years, so we figured we would get married/civil union before I go so he can get the benefits and hopefully travel with me if i get based in god only knows where. You could always suggest he goes back to school, if he isnt already, to get another degree. That is also one train of thought of ours, he would like to get a engineering (sp?) degree. Good luck on what ever you decide to do! I just suggest loooots of talking and brainstorming on what he is going to do while you are gone... and what to do after you get out!

anghockey

Chasejj-We're both in school right now, graduating, so he's looking for a job. He's already going to have two degrees come graduation day (he's in a special program), so he doesn't need another one. He's got his own career path, and he'll probably be based out of D.C./MD/VA We haven't been together that long, so we're still trying to figure things out, just know that we really want to make it work, so we're trying to see what's out there.

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
Same deal here, kinda. I am going to OCS (hopefully soon!). My boyfriend IS military...4 years in Navy, currently in National Guard. We plan on getting married before I go. Only difference is, he's got orders to "Iraqistan" sometime between October and spring. So depending on when I go, he could be gone before I finish OCS.

My deployments won't be so bad for him because he's been there before. His deployments, however, last a little longer, so it could be about a year and a half before we see each other again.

anghockey

Biograd, I think I recognize you from over at usnavyocs.com, right? I've got the same username there. Congrats on getting selected. The distance thing does totally suck. This is something I actually know about because I spent the better part of last year in India, separated from my then-fiance (the distance had nothing to do with why we broke up, no worries). Make sure you have skype with video. It really helped bridge the 7,000 mile difference. I think it would be easier if you're BOTH deployed because then you have your own things to worry about rather than just waiting for your significant other to come home!

biograd06

Princess of the Pulpmill
Yes, same person!

I agree. I am not sure how Supply compares to SWO, but I would expect being a SWO involves a lot more learning on the job than Supply. I could be wrong, so anyone feel free to correct me on that.

That being said, I am waiting to hear back from the Supply board, and in the meantime I have done a lot of reading on SWO life. At this point I am fully hoping I DON'T get picked up for Supply. I think I'd like being a SWO much more.

Anyway, as a SWO I'd have a lot going on, deployed or not, so that I'd be far too busy, rather than sitting at home...waiting. And he has already been through 2 WESTPAC tours himself, so if I'm gone and he's not, he knows what to expect. He's been there, done that. So yeah, I don't think it will be so bad. Just hoping he won't be gone before I finish OCS...and his company commander is pretty certain they won't be leaving till after the first of January anyway. I better be done with OCS long before then!

phrogpilot73

Since the thread got back on track, I thought maybe I could weigh in. My wife is active duty Navy, and I am a reservist in the Marine Corps. When we met, I was active duty and so was she. First piece of advice - unless you're madly in love - don't do active duty/active duty. ESPECIALLY different services. Co-location is impossible.

However, I can tell you what it's like for a husband who's not in the military when you are (I got completely out of the Marine Corps for a year, then came back in). It kind of sucks. The spouses club is really the "wives" club. The good news is that before you deploy, he'll get a chance to meet the other spouses at functions and make friends with the other husbands.

All the support structure is still there for your husband, but when it comes to social stuff he's pretty much on his own. The Ft Meade Officer's Wives club is still the Ft Meade Officer's Wives club even though they voted on whether to change it to "spouses". We're still an anomaly that aren't exactly accepted in their little high school like clique...

How am I gonna cope when PSW is deployed? A lot of reserve duty, hobbies, and hanging out with friends that we have that are local (that have nothing to do with the military). Why? Because as I sad - the sad truth is that for social stuff - the guys aren't accepted as readily as the women are.

MasterBates

As an add on, I saw the "Wives Club" be more like the "Mothers with young children" club.

Those who did not have children by choice or chance, were treated as "outsiders" at best.

sna_gf

As an add on, I saw the "Wives Club" be more like the "Mothers with young children" club.

Those who did not have children by choice or chance, were treated as "outsiders" at best.

So where do gf/ wives w/o kids hang out for support? :confused:

Just cuz we don't have children doesn't mean we don't miss our man!

Thanks!