• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Signals Intelligence Officer

mac1533

I was looking through the MOS selection handbook and came across the Signals Intelligence section. I was wondering if anybody could give me some more indepth info on the job or what they've heard about it. Thanks

kimphil

Signals intel is a cross between intelligence and communications. Signals intel go to a lot of schools--different intel schools, they may even go to SERE (don't know for certain), and they also go to USMC comm school in Quantico (although they only do the radio portion). What do they do? I don't know exactly--Eavesdrop on enemy transmission, radio direction, EW and probably some other high-speed stuff that you need a top secret clearance to know about. After their first tour, all commissioned intel officers change designations to become an intel officer (MOS 0202?) which I guess is a sort of generalist MOS in intel. I guess they can do all senior intel billets after they change designation.

teufelsurfer

Helos in Paradise
Signals Intel O's manage intelligence marines who conduct signals intel in various ways. The officer doesn't usually do the cool stuff, they normally support the enlisted guys by doing their paperwork, making sure their family/pay/medical/logistical issues are met and that they have what they need in the field to operate. Their marines have eavesdropping equiptment and will go in the field to forward operating areas in humvees and LAVs and pick up comm traffic for analysis.

They go for a crash course at the communications school in quantico for about a month then they go to pensacola for crypto school. My friend is a signals intel O but unfortunately marine intel officers like signals and ground intel who are sort of hybrids (ground intel officers also go to the infantry officer course), and because of that are frequently given the job of their more mundane side. I.e. my signals intelligence officer friend was in charge of a regular, non-intelligence communications platoon and my ground intel friend was put in charge of an infantry platoon (when they're officially supposed to be in charge of scout-sniper platoons). Which is fine, but they were expecting to do the top secret stuff, if they had wanted to work in the non-intel side they would have requested those MOSs instead. Of course being assigned a job you're not officially trained for happens all the time in the Marines.

kimphil

"The officer doesn't usually do the cool stuff, they normally support the enlisted guys by doing their paperwork, making sure their family/pay/medical/logistical issues are met and that they have what they need in the field to operate."

Unless you're an aviator you'll have marines you're responsible for. Paperwork/admin etc. is what the typical marine officer is responsible for regardless of MOS. It's the aviators that are the exception.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
kimphil said:
Unless you're an aviator you'll have marines you're responsible for. Paperwork/admin etc. is what the typical marine officer is responsible for regardless of MOS. It's the aviators that are the exception.

What's your MOS kimphill?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
kimphil said:

Uhh I have Marines Im responsible for and Im up to my eyeballs in paperwork admin crap.