• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I think it's abhorrent that the NG troops have been sleeping on the floor in parking garages during the winter, and better arrangements weren't made. They are in Washington DC, for heaven's sake- it's not like they are guarding some 3rd world embassy. You're telling me during a pandemic that has cut travel by 60% or more, temporary lodging couldn't have been arranged?

That said, I'm not surprised...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
View attachment 29167

I think Soldiers walking around the capital without magazines looks incredibly stupid, it looks like their CO has no confidence in them with a condition 3 weapon whatsoever.
At 26 maybe you are too young to remember troops in airports following 9/11. After a devastating attack using commercial aircraft as weapons and many creditable sources confirming a continued threat to aviation, NG troops stationed in airports were in condition three.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it's abhorrent that the NG troops have been sleeping on the floor in parking garages during the winter, and better arrangements weren't made. They are in Washington DC, for heaven's sake- it's not like they are guarding some 3rd world embassy. You're telling me during a pandemic that has cut travel by 60% or more, temporary lodging couldn't have been arranged?

Whoever made that call is probably getting absolutely flamesprayed, because the blowback in Congress about it is bipartisan.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I was about to ask 'haven't you been in the military, bro?' til I saw this line. I saw the pictures and just kind of laughed...not really surprised to see someone epically fucked up the logistics of moving an army into DC. At least they probably started a super spreader event while they were at it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Thread revival. I am curious about the status of deployment of the M17 and M18 (Sig) pistol in Navy in general and Naval Aviation units in particular. Are the M9 and M11 no more within squadrons?

USNA has highlighted the use of the M17 in Plebe Summer 2023 weapons quals - with new inbound mids qualifying on the M17 pistol and M4 carbine. It's nice to see this IMHO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone operated in an AOR that requires a sidearm since introduction of the M18?

Meyerkord

pilot
Thread revival. I am curious about the status of deployment of the M17 and M18 (Sig) pistol in Navy in general and Naval Aviation units in particular. Are the M9 and M11 no more within squadrons?

USNA has highlighted the use of the M17 in Plebe Summer 2023 weapons quals - with new inbound mids qualifying on the M17 pistol and M4 carbine. It's nice to see this IMHO.

I just returned from a big-deck deployment and all the squadrons used the M11 for the pistol qual. This was the ship's equipment, not specifically the squadron's. Didn't carry while flying. IIRC, some of the other ship personnel (maybe MAs?) were doing quals with other types, but I'm unsure what they were using.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I know it's not answering the direct question (Navy), but my last two quals in the guard were with the M17 (and M4 dual qual).
All the base AF Security Forces folks have been M17/18 for about 18 months. No sign of M9s anymore!

ChuckMK23

pilot
Are there M17s without a manual safety (like the civilian version) for aircrews?

View attachment 38515
Negative. All DoD M17 have man safety - they do however come with three grip modules that the unit can fit to the individual. In The C-17 squadron I talked to all the crews had indivually assigned weapons with the correct size grip module fitted for their hand size. Meaning there is one weapon for every flyer in the command and when you go to ALSS to draw your weapon, you are issued *yours*.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
All the base AF Security Forces folks have been M17/18 for about 18 months. No sign of M9s anymore!
I did my shooting qual last month, we were still using the M-9. The RSO said SecFo is all with the M17/18 but no timeline for having everyone using it. Don’t know if that’s just base specific or AF wide.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FWIW, my NSF carry the M18. Something tells me Naval Aviation will be very slow to transition, unless there’s a major conflict that comes along.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
FWIW, my NSF carry the M18. Something tells me Naval Aviation will be very slow to transition, unless there’s a major conflict that comes along.

I was wondering what the motivation would be to switch. The M11 is compact, fairly light, already has infrastructure in place (holsters and mags), and most importantly, it's been paid for.

Given how long it took Navy rotary to switch from the PEQ to the IZLID, why buy more sidearms now? The IZLID conversion was during a T/M/S change.

Then again, NAVAIR finds money for random things while the fleet asks for something completely different, so who knows.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I did my shooting qual last month, we were still using the M-9. The RSO said SecFo is all with the M17/18 but no timeline for having everyone using it. Don’t know if that’s just base specific or AF wide.
That would be National Guard wide. You’ll get the new stuff once the regulars have had time to wear the shine off it.