• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sidearms for Naval Aviators

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I read that the NDAA language mandated a timeline for all services to switch/adopt. I'm sure there are exceptions (SOCOM).

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
That would be National Guard wide. You’ll get the new stuff once the regulars have had time to wear the shine off it.
Maybe Air Guard, but not Army...obviously...since I was in the Army National Guard for 16 years and had been shooting the M17 for over a year before I retired in February. But then again we were the second or third unit nation wide (Active Army and National Guard) to get M model 60s. Active-duty units were actually asking us to pick up and deliver their aircraft since they did not have qualified pilots yet. It disproves the myth that National Guard is always last in fielding new items.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Maybe Air Guard, but not Army...obviously...since I was in the Army National Guard for 16 years and had been shooting the M17 for over a year before I retired in February. But then again we were the second or third unit nation wide (Active Army and National Guard) to get M model 60s. Active-duty units were actually asking us to pick up and deliver their aircraft since they did not have qualified pilots yet. It disproves the myth that National Guard is always last in fielding new items.
As a guy who also retired from the Army Guard I agree. I should have rubbed a little sarcasm emoji or something on the end there.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Thread revival. I am curious about the status of deployment of the M17 and M18 (Sig) pistol in Navy in general and Naval Aviation units in particular. Are the M9 and M11 no more within squadrons?

USNA has highlighted the use of the M17 in Plebe Summer 2023 weapons quals - with new inbound mids qualifying on the M17 pistol and M4 carbine. It's nice to see this IMHO.

Looking at the photos in that link, plebe's gonna plebe. I hope they learned a proper shooting stance.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Looking at the photos in that link, plebe's gonna plebe. I hope they learned a proper shooting stance.
Its refreshing to see the exposure and emphasis. Also looks like all the supervision/Range Officers are Mids.

Last edited:

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Its refreshing to see the exposure and emphasis. Also looks like all the supervision/Range Officers are Mids.
That's correct. I was on weapons instructor detail between my 2nd and 3rd year at the academy. They bring the weapons instructors (us) out 2 weeks early to shoot everyday, learn range safety procedures, and learn how to instruct "students." Then they break us up in to rifle and pistol teams (I was an M9 instructor) and we do 2 (or 3?) weeks of actual instruction to get the Plebes qualified.

It was a lot of fun and one of the best things I did while I was a Midshipman.