• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Side Honors

STA21pilot

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking for the instruction, (USN Regs, Drill Manual, even Training Manual), that describes the number of bells for side honors at a shore command. We have a COL and she thinks she gets 6 bells, but I'm pretty sure an O-6 gets 4. We also have a LT General coming and he should get 8. Any help...

Thx.

STA21Pilot

hm2anderson

EP-3 NFO
0-6 = 4 Bells

Could not find the "official instruction" OPNAVINST 1710.7A is close...

The Naval Officer's Guide11th Ed. Chapter 5 pg 82.

O4 below = 2
O5 O6 = 4
O7 O8 = 6
O9 above = 8

"corresponds to the number of sideboys"

the manual also calls them gongs even thou at the ceremony you will hear
" Sound Four Bells"
"Captain, United States Navy, Arriving/Departing"
ding ding
ding ding

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur....the bell is sounded the number of times corresponding to the number of sideboys that the person rates. If it is for a shore ceremony and you have flag officer(s) being honored, you best look up "Ruffles and Flourishes" as well.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could not find the "official instruction" OPNAVINST 1710.7A is close...

The Naval Officer's Guide11th Ed. Chapter 5 pg 82.

O4 below = 2
O5 O6 = 4
O7 O8 = 6
O9 above = 8

"corresponds to the number of sideboys"

the manual also calls them gongs even thou at the ceremony you will hear
" Sound Four Bells"
"Captain, United States Navy, Arriving/Departing"
ding ding
ding ding

Ring the bells first, then render the honors.

If the VIP has a title, then you say that instead of his/her rank. Example: If an O-6 CAG arrives, you would ring 4 bells for his/her rank, then render "Carrier Air Wing 8, arriving."

If the SECNAV arrives, you ring eight bells, then render "Navy, arriving."

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Ring the bells first, then render the honors.

If the VIP has a title, then you say that instead of his/her rank. Example: If an O-6 CAG arrives, you would ring 4 bells for his/her rank, then render "Carrier Air Wing 8, arriving."

If the SECNAV arrives, you ring eight bells, then render "Navy, arriving."

Great story about that... We were in the drydock during a very extended refit...everything was all torn to @#$%. As anyone who has ever been in the yards...ok Steve maybe;)...can attest, the entire crew is pissy and bitter because nobody likes the yards. Anyway, it was a nasty hot south Georgia day, and my division was ass deep in some transformer/rectifier cabinets. Just as we were getting started we hear, "Ding ding, ding ding, Pennsylvania arriving!" in the 1MC. No big deal, skipper showing up as normal. Well we'd just gotten back to work and the 1MC keys again and we hear, "Ding ding, ding ding, ding ding, (JESUS! REALLY?!?!?), ding ding, Navy arriving!"

When I got my head out of the cabinet, I looked up and down the engineroom, and every head was staring at the nearest 1MC speaker, and the engineroom was dead silent! We all knew that it couldn't be good, but we were all thinking back to boot camp to make sure that what we thought was happening, really was.

That's right...and unanounced SECNAV visit. Awesome!:eek:

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If SECNAV gets "Navy, Arriving", what's the CNO get? I was under the impression the CNO got the "Navy, Arriving".

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
The President gets "United States of America, Arriving," correct? Heard that at school, I assume it's true.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
So there I was in the Gulf back in 2004, TAD shooter onboard CVN 73, in the gear pit, giving the Boss a green deck for the early morning COD -- Ding ding, ding ding, ding ding, ding ding, Naval Operations arriving ... Boss had to wave off the CNO on the first pass because there wasn't an LSO on the platform...WTF? Good thing the CNO was a SWO and probably didn't know any better. At any rate, it wasn't the shooters getting yelled at this time.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So there I was in the Gulf back in 2004, TAD shooter onboard CVN 73, in the gear pit, giving the Boss a green deck for the early morning COD -- Ding ding, ding ding, ding ding, ding ding, Naval Operations arriving ... Boss had to wave off the CNO on the first pass because there wasn't an LSO on the platform...WTF? Good thing the CNO was a SWO and probably didn't know any better. At any rate, it wasn't the shooters getting yelled at this time.

5MC: "Paddles, pick up the phone....... Paddles....."

I bet there was a collective ass-handing after the show.