• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shystery Recruiter??

smustang51

Senores...I have a question....I had asthma as a kid and was trying to get a waiver for it ahead of time to have one less thing to worry about at NAMI. I spoke with my recruiter about it once and he said not to worry about it since I was cleared during the commissioning physical. I heard some things that sounded a little shady afterward and spoke with him again yesterday about the possibility of getting the paper work done for it, but he adamantly refused and said that I shouldn't worry about it and that if I kept digging I was going to 'nuke' myself out of the program. Well...should I put my complete trust in him? Is he right to suggest not getting the waiver ahead of time? Or is he an evil villain plotting behind his desk trying only to get numbers up???

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If he said you're cleared, then you're cleared. Asthma is waiverable since I've seen countless threads on it. Being proactive is good, but also trust your recruiter to SOME degree unless he has given you reason not to.

Side note: Shyster is a con-artist, money-grubbing, charlatan. Commonly used as a derogatory word for Jews. I don't really see how this applies to your recruiter...??

smustang51

It also refers to unscrupulous behavior for immaterial gain...suppose i should have instead used -esque rather than -y to liken the qualities of a shyster....However I really used the term more as a marketing ploy, in this context to elicit a response...another victim to advertising I see.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It also refers to unscrupulous professional behavior for immaterial gain as well... However I really used the term more as a marketing ploy....another victim to advertising I see

I suppose it's arguable. Although certain tokens/insignias/words have certain definitions, they often have a particular accepted vernacular definition. A swastika may certainly be an acceptable symbol (tibet), but everyone knows it is offensive. Musical 100 years meant something very particular too. Sure it means you're musically inclined, but everyone accepted it to mean something else. Shyster may be one with unscrupulous business practices, but it is sort of an anti-semitic term. Either way, I could care less. I am just less than halfway through a 12 hour watch and am bored to tears.

bottom line, What was "shady" about what you heard/saw? Perhaps this can clarify the situation?

smustang51

hmmm...shady was a bad choice, I should have said contradictory. I have heard/read about numerous candidates getting whammied for the asthma thing and was told to get the waiver ahead of time by a few guys. So, I was just wondering if he just did not want to deal with the paper work and just as soon let me go. I don't know if it is one of those deals where he can just add me to his quota after he has me in or how it works.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Your best bet instead of relying on gouge from other people and a recruiter who is not a medical professional is to go to NAMI's website, and to their waiver guide and see the guidelines for an asthma waiver. If you are completely paranoid print it off and go to a doc who can test you to see if you fall within the boundaries for the waiver. If you made it past MEPS, I'd say you SHOULD be ok for asthma (NAMI is usually more notorious for whammying Eye issues) but if you want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE check out the NAMI waiver guide.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm

Hope this helps.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Side note: Shyster is a con-artist, money-grubbing, charlatan. Commonly used as a derogatory word for Jews. I don't really see how this applies to your recruiter...??

Commonly? I have NEVER heard it used in that context. It's thought to be rooted in German, that's about it.

Maybe you should send a note to NATO. And Mat Groening.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Commonly? I have NEVER heard it used in that context. It's thought to be rooted in German, that's about it.

Maybe you should send a note to NATO. And Mat Groening.

Comes from Sheisser (sp?) meaning basically "shitter". I was nitpicking details. What the hell else am I to do for the next 6 hours?

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Jews have a lot of stereotypes attributed to them, but taking dumps? How (and when) did they get that one pinned on them?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Jews have a lot of stereotypes attributed to them, but taking dumps? How (and when) did they get that one pinned on them?

Well it came about due to the context of shyster meaning a money-grubber and kind of got attached as the title for a scamming jewish lawyer. Someone who is trying to cheat you out of money (ie- a shady lawyer: lawyer being another jewish-ism).

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I know Jews get stereotyped as money grubbers, but that doesn't mean the term is Jew specific. If someone calls me a drunk its more than likely because I drink a lot, not because I'm Irish. I could just as easily call a cheap ass Arab a shyster and have it mean the same as if I called a cheap ass Jew one.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know Jews get stereotyped as money grubbers, but that doesn't mean the term is Jew specific. If someone calls me a drunk its more than likely because I drink a lot, not because I'm Irish. I could just as easily call a cheap ass Arab a shyster and have it mean the same as if I called a cheap ass Jew one.

You're a drunk. And I'm a cheap ass Jew. That's why I drink at home, and not out at bars. Or is that because I'm a drunk??

BTW, this is ONE hell of a threadjack! Three cheers for PM SDO!