• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shuttle launch tickets

OscarMyers

None
Does anybody know of any resources for active duty to get shuttle launch tickets. The customer service counter at kennedy space center said they would be sold out with in 5 minutes of availability online. Im hoping to catch the space-centers facebook post but not sure how good that will work. If front row tickets available, what are some good viewing spots around town. Im looking to make the July 29 launch, ill be starting at embry riddle fall semester. Go figure the first time i live close to kennedy and they decide to kill the program. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
If you can't get tickets at KSCO, you can see it pretty well from downtown Titusville. I just watched this past launch from there and it was a great view!

OscarMyers

None
Have you ever seen a launch from the Astronauts hall of fame? I guess you can view a launch from there if you buy a year pass.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
I've read that even though the tickets will get you closer the view is terrible. Apparently a line of trees blocks the view while the shuttle is on the launch pad. I highly recommend viewing it from Titusville. Specifically at Space view park or a better and lesser known location Parrish park. I think it's better because it's alot easier to get a jump and escape the traffic from the first two. Best of luck!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I've read that even though the tickets will get you closer the view is terrible. Apparently a line of trees blocks the view while the shuttle is on the launch pad. I highly recommend viewing it from Titusville. Specifically at Space view park or a better and lesser known location Parrish park. I think it's better because it's alot easier to get a jump and escape the traffic from the first two. Best of luck!

This is great advice. I watched the launch from the bridge that was 1/4 mile away from there and it was fantastic. You could actually see the launch pad and everything without and obstructions.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Second (or third) Space View park. I got there early, did a little tailgating type stuff, set up a tripod and took some awesome photos of the last night launch. Traffic on the way out wasn't too bad, but I sprinted to my truck and got out of dodge as fast as I could. It's one of those things I'm glad I did before the launches ended.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Second (or third) Space View park. I got there early, did a little tailgating type stuff, set up a tripod and took some awesome photos of the last night launch. Traffic on the way out wasn't too bad, but I sprinted to my truck and got out of dodge as fast as I could. It's one of those things I'm glad I did before the launches ended.
And when are you going to share these pictures with the rest of us?

I'd love to make it to a launch but don't see it happening as time is running out. It's just too far for a might or might not happen event.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
And when are you going to share these pictures with the rest of us?

I'd love to make it to a launch but don't see it happening as time is running out. It's just too far for a might or might not happen event.

They're in my camera's geek stick, which is approximately 2000 miles from my closest USB port. My mac gave up the ghost after I dropped it, and I've got to get them back off the camera when I get home.

OscarMyers

None
What size lens did you use. Im looking to get a tele but i dont want to waste my money on more lens than i need. Currently i have a Nikon D200 with an 18-135 on the end.

messkit

pilot
Best advice I have is to contact one of the Airforce commands at Cape Canaveral, not Kennedy space center, two diffrent places all together. They should have a block of tickets for the veiwing areas. Just need to contact who ever their PAO is. I have done this in the past my self; the blocks put you about 5 miles away with an unobstructed view of either of the launch pads

OscarMyers

None
I appreciate the feedback, Im going to try and get ahold of someone on patrick afb on monday and sweet talk somebody for some tickets. Just glad to hear you dont have to be on KSC to get a good view of the show. The closest ive been was on the G.W. off the coast of florida a during the 2008 POA and it was overcast. All i saw was a bright orange cloud, so anything would be better then that.

messkit

pilot
The 45th Space Wing was who has helped me out before. Just make sure you get passes to Cape Canaveral Air Station and not Patrick Air Station. The view from Cape Canaveral is far better than Patrick.

OscarMyers

None
Well the Shuttle ticket lottery gods smiled on me this morning and i was able to get some tickets at the Astronaut hall of fame for the Atlantis shuttle launch. Is anyone else gonna be at this one. Im looking to get there the night before if they open it up, beer and BBQ. PM me.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thread bump.

Discovery is scheduled to fly out of the Kennedy Space Center on Tuesday- piggybacking on the 747. The website says there are special tours this weekend too. Ticket prices for either event are rather dear ($65-85), but... seeing as the space shuttle is already fading into history to join the Apollos and other programs, this looks like a cool event for any space nuts out there who live near the Space Coast.

Don't know either way about any possible TFRs for the more enterprising gate crashers out there :)

Linky: http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/discovery-fly-out.aspx

Aerial---Web-Banner.gif

yak52driver

Contributor
That would be worth seeing. I worked at JSC when Endevour was transported to KSC from CA after it was built. They landed overnight at Ellington field, seeing the shuttle on back of the 747 up close was pretty dang amazing, har to believe that pair of vehicles could get off the ground.