• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shuttle Launch from the SRBs POV

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Absolutely beautiful. It's great you actually get the sound, too and I loved passing the sound barrier. Truly amazing stuff there.

yak52driver

Contributor
That was great, nice find! Max-Q was very cool from that perspective. It was interesting how long the SRB's seems to maintain the same rate of tumble during re-entry.

Reconjoe

At the very end, you see something with just one chute splashing down, looks too small to be the other SRB...any idea what that is?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely beautiful. It's great you actually get the sound, too and I loved passing the sound barrier. Truly amazing stuff there.
I was thinking the same thing until I saw the "sound design" credits at the end. That usually implies someone making up the sound FX based on what's going on in the frame. Still sounded cool, especially the SRB ignition - POW!

Brett

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
This is the blurb from the video: "From the upcoming Special Edition Ascent: Commemorating Space Shuttle DVD/BluRay by NASA/Glenn a movie from the point of view of the Solid Rocket Booster with sound mixing and enhancement done by the folks at Skywalker Sound. The sound is all from the camera microphones and not fake or replaced with foley artist sound. The Skywalker sound folks just helped bring it out and make it more audible."

I don't know what all was done, but they are from Skywalker Sound so their work is good.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
This is the blurb from the video: "From the upcoming Special Edition Ascent: Commemorating Space Shuttle DVD/BluRay by NASA/Glenn a movie from the point of view of the Solid Rocket Booster with sound mixing and enhancement done by the folks at Skywalker Sound. The sound is all from the camera microphones and not fake or replaced with foley artist sound. The Skywalker sound folks just helped bring it out and make it more audible."

I don't know what all was done, but they are from Skywalker Sound so their work is good.

Whiz bang filters, EQs... Cool stuff. Hardest part is synching it back up with the video- that's where a designer comes in. They also decide what is noise and what isn't. Sound Designers many times will be given a bunch of raw audio and told to make it sound awesome.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Sweet.

jmcquate

Contributor
At the very end, you see something with just one chute splashing down, looks too small to be the other SRB...any idea what that is?
The drogue chute is located at the tip of the nose cone (frustum), when the SRB is in a stable tail down attitude the drogue and the frustum separate from the rest of the SRB initiating main chute deployment and the frustum rides down on the drogue. I guessing that was the frustum in the background.