• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Showdown between Super Hornet and F-35

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sir, nobody knows what a F/A-18E/F is.

Is that a specific designator of a caliber of butt plug?

Seems like a lot of slashes, hyphens, and whatnots IMO...

On further research, it seems an 'E' is small caliber. Not sure what caliber the 'F' is, but it seems there's an upgraded plug called a 'Growler'?
I'll say this... the Rhino/Growler butt plug is the most painful penetrant that our adversaries will ever encounter.

Notanaviator

Contributor
I'll say this... the Rhino/Growler butt plug is the most painful penetrant that our adversaries will ever encounter.
As a civilian this is starting to make a lot more sense- been trying to figure out what the Defensive Counter Air mission was but it turns out it’s just using this butt plug thingy to hold in a fart? Got it.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
Sir, nobody knows what a F/A-18E/F is.

Is that a specific designator of a caliber of butt plug?

Seems like a lot of slashes, hyphens, and whatnots IMO...

On further research, it seems an 'E' is small caliber. Not sure what caliber the 'F' is, but it seems there's an upgraded plug called a 'Growler'?
The Growler version is battery powered.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure we ever really "replaced" the -111 (or A-6 for that matter), but we did buy new planes that filled those roles. I'd say the F-15E was probably more successful in that endeavor than the F/A-18E/F

The F-15E is overall a better platform than then F-111, while it didn't have the same legs it's operational payload was similar and it is a far more effective and useable platform. I flew with a few -111 guys and they all had stories about how balky the mission equipment was on the 'Vark, with one guy talking about how the nav system would often shit the bed and then start pointing the crew 'home' to Ft Worth where it was built. The planes largely worked by the Gulf War but they still had issues. Same with the A-6, which also suffered from a lot of weapons/mission system issues throughout its service.

I think it would be great to have a longer-legged tactical strike aircraft nowadays like the F-111 or the like that could fly from the boat or land but we are stuck with what we have.

taxi1

pilot
The F-15E is overall a better platform than then F-111, while it didn't have the same legs it's operational payload was similar and it is a far more effective and useable platform.
Friend of mine was an A6 BN, who did a tour with the USAF as a F111 WSO. He told a story of going up to Cold Lake CFB for an exercise, and they did a low level sortie where they zorched in just below the number to the range, dropped what they had, and then came home in full blower at Mach whatever it could muster and blew through the whole fuel load in like a 0.5 or less flight. I'm sure there was some lying in there, but it was a pretty cool story.

He taught us how to play crud too. Best game ever.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Friend of mine was an A6 BN, who did a tour with the USAF as a F111 WSO. He told a story of going up to Cold Lake CFB for an exercise, and they did a low level sortie where they zorched in just below the number to the range, dropped what they had, and then came home in full blower at Mach whatever it could muster and blew through the whole fuel load in like a 0.5 or less flight.

Haha, my first read of this, I saw Cold Lake launch, March AFB recovery, all in a 0.5. Yes, that would be magic. But a second read, this makes more sense.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The F-15E is overall a better platform than then F-111, while it didn't have the same legs it's operational payload was similar and it is a far more effective and useable platform. I flew with a few -111 guys and they all had stories about how balky the mission equipment was on the 'Vark, with one guy talking about how the nav system would often shit the bed and then start pointing the crew 'home' to Ft Worth where it was built. The planes largely worked by the Gulf War but they still had issues.

Bolded, that is some pretty funny/classic shit right there, if true. I don't think the MacAir products have the same kill switch (ours would be the prime meridian, where most of the pre-digital moving map legacy jet microfiche moving maps were eternally stuck at or around).

I guess my point was more that the replacement aircraft weren't built to the same mission specs as their predecessors, for many reasons. But it would sure be cool to have a dedicated interdiction aircraft in a carrier airwing. Albeit one that is not only survivable, but long legged. We lost half that capability with the Super Hornet, and have not yet regained it. That all being said, I have been able to read most all of the company/internal white paper development docs regarding the Super, starting in the early 1990's, up through the requirements stuff eventually produced by DoD, and it is pretty interesting reading in the sense of putting puzzle pieces together. Finding the pylon cant studies was like finding a needle in a haystack. I found them though :)

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finding the pylon cant studies was like finding a needle in a haystack. I found them though :)
At the UNCLASS//AWs level, was it as stupid a decision as they say, or did someone just goof an honest judgement call?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess my point was more that the replacement aircraft weren't built to the same mission specs as their predecessors, for many reasons. But it would sure be cool to have a dedicated interdiction aircraft in a carrier airwing. Albeit one that is not only survivable, but long legged. We lost half that capability with the Super Hornet, and have not yet regained it.

That is one of the few things I agree with Hendrix on, even if his factual analysis was flawed/misleading when arguing for it.

Random8145

Was just reading the Air Force took delivery of an actual laser weapon to equip onto the F-15 EX, with one use being for shooting down enemy missiles. That is badass:)

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
No too much in terms of specifics…I’ll do some reading. Thanks.
Short answer is yes. The F-15E's primary mission set is A-G. Compared to the E, the EX is redesigned to incorporate fly-by-wire, which frees up additional weapons stations that were previously blocked by hydraulic lines. Additional upgrades include improved engines, APG-82 (a larger version of the APG-81), and a F-35esk cockpit.