• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shoulder Holster Q

busdriver

None
TheBubba, do you have the option of a two piece flight suit? If so, I go with that and get a paddle holster. Much more comfortable. The problem with a shoulder rig and a flight suit is that shoulder rigs should be linked to your belt, else they swing around a lot.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
busdriver,

I do not have the option of the 2-piece flightsuit. Big Navy says those are a no-no.

Zissou

Banned
As far as I know the only issue is horizontal shoulder holsters. This is based on posts here. I had one in theater until early 08 but I was on a somewhat backwater FOB away from glowbelts and silliness for the most part.
My post was intended to illustrate that most holster are susceptible to "flagging someone at some point it the day.

A sidearm in a double retention holster and lackadaisical weapon handling are two very different things. You are not flagging me when your weapon is properly stowed in its holster, ever.

When you disengage the retention and put your shit mittens on the gun? You are now responsible for muzzle discipline.

Prior to a negligent discharge one thing occurs 99.9% of the time: something, usually a finger, depresses the trigger on a firearm that was understood to be unloaded.

When a weapon is holstered it is almost impossible to break the cardinal rule #3. You must be armed and you must be able to work so a properly holstered weapon is considered out of battery.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I have your solution:

gal-etb.jpg

And best of all, it's cheap. Only $40 and both your balls for this fanny pack from hell.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Rule #3 is "finger straight and off of the trigger until you intend to fire", correct? I know the rules, I just can't remember the order.

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Yeah, they are a WW2 repro -- WW2 -- back when men were men and shoulder holsters were shoulder holsters ... :D

My Dad wore an "original" in WW2 ... I tried one in the NAV, but it wasn't secure enough for my purposes in a jet.

I've noticed a lot of General Officers in the sand wearing this style of holster on news reports ... for whatever that's worth. Look at it this way -- it's only $40 bucks. How many ways can you find to waste $40 bucks these days -- get something you'll like and that might make a difference -- skip Starbuck's for a week or two ... :)

I was actually looking for those when I was doing research a couple of months ago. Although the funniest photo I ever saw with one of those was nimitz's intel officer wearing one while with the admiral.

I don't do Coffee, I prefer tea.

Attachments

• layton.JPG
    layton.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 47

exo

Sorry to butt in on your thread... but does anyone know the laws pertaining to active duty and carrying a weapon in public? Do you need a license to carry in every state you intend to live in/travel to? OR maybe someone can just point me to a link for guns laws pertaining to military personnel.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Granted, I have 0 time "in country." That said, while I can understand being anal with unholstered weapons, and rightfully so, you gotta draw the line somewhere.

The rule at glow-belt central, where I was and Bubba is going, is that horizontal holsters were OK as long as you removed the magazine from a weapon.
Honestly, I didn't see the difference between wearing the magazine on a clippy pouch on the outside of the holster and having the magazine in, but holstered in a way that the trigger was covered and no round in the chamber. I always assumed the "cover nothing with your muzzle that you do not intent to destroy" rule to apply to an unholstered weapon only - i.e. one that you are holding.
But maybe I am wrong. I am definitely not a gun person back in the world - I do not own, carry, etc. Only when I am "downrange", so maybe I am missing some things.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Sorry to butt in on your thread... but does anyone know the laws pertaining to active duty and carrying a weapon in public? Do you need a license to carry in every state you intend to live in/travel to? OR maybe someone can just point me to a link for guns laws pertaining to military personnel.

Depends, each state may have different laws. As an example, Nevada is a de facto open carry state...IOW, you can carry on your person as long as the gun is visible. Once it is not visible, and on your person, you must have a carry permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/