• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I throw the dice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blavin

My situation: I found out yesterday from my OSO that I have been selected for OCC this summer, with no air contract. When signing the contract before the board, he asked if I wanted to sign both air and ground. I thought signing the ground contract would be a good idea, to show the board that I wanted to be a Marine more than an aviator. Bad move.
The question: When in TBS how difficult is it to get aviation? I have also thought about disenrolling for this summer, and try reapplying for the winter board, this time only signing the aviation contract. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

olympianchc

Fox Co....TBS
I dont believe that you can got for both air and ground, they are different routes and require different things, such as physical, air test, ect.... when you apply. And now, being a ground guy, I dont think it is easy to switch over to air during TBS, because of the fact that they left a ground spot open for you, so they want you in a ground slot.. I could be wrong though

blavin

When preparing my packet for the board, everything was for aviation. I passed the ASTB test, aviation physical, so on and so on. My OSO asked me if I wanted to sign the ground contract, just in case my air contract wasnt selected. As far as I know, both were looked at, first the air, then the ground at the board. Well, thats what my OSO tells me.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I thought signing the ground contract would be a good idea, to show the board that I wanted to be a Marine more than an aviator. Bad move.

So does this mean that you DON'T want to be a Marine more than an aviator? ie: You attempted to show the board something about yourself that isn't in fact true?

Edit: Not trying to be derisive, just thought this statement seemed a little contradictory - and slightly humorous.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I signed both contracts just in case my ASTB scores weren't passing. But my OSO wouldn't send them in until we got the scores back. I passed, so I got Air. At TBS, it is possible get an Air Slot if you pass the ASTB, however, there are usually very few slots in each class (very few meaning 1 or 2).

blavin

Ive decided that I am going to OCS this summer although I dont have an air contract. From what my OSO told me today, I probably wont get selected again since I would have to disenroll from 189. Apparently you need a waiver to do this and is looked down upon. Ive heard that if I dont get an air slot at TBS, then I can continue to apply when in the Marine Corps. Does anyone know about this?

Clux4

Banned
blavin said:
Ive decided that I am going to OCS this summer although I dont have an air contract. From what my OSO told me today, I probably wont get selected again since I would have to disenroll from 189. Apparently you need a waiver to do this and is looked down upon. Ive heard that if I dont get an air slot at TBS, then I can continue to apply when in the Marine Corps. Does anyone know about this?

You can try it out in the fleet but it is called the Field Ascension Board (FAB). Many are called but few are choosen. You also have to be within a stipulated time in grade, time in service. I would not bank on that if I were you.

USMC454

Primary... Whiting
Now this is just Alpha Co '05 but... we have like 4 slots open for guys who want to move into air. From what I can tell, all of the qualified guys (passed ASTB and Flight Physical) who really wanted the slots got them, but I may be wrong. Bottom line: You really do have to want to be a Marine first. If you can honestly say that you do, then dont worry too much about what you wind up with. Best case scenario: you get an air slot. Worst case scenario: you will get a ground MOS that you will be proud of and will be good at. Either way, Id say roll the dice. I know of several guys who started with air slots, lost them for medical reasons, and are now happy as can be with their descision to take their commission. In fact one of them is desperately hoping for an infantry spot. And your OSO is right... they get pretty pissed off if you drop out/change grad dates/ ect... So your best bet at becoming a Marine Officer is to just roll with it.

blavin

I dont believe I will regret my decision at all. To be part of such a great organization is a priviledge in itself. I spoke with my OSO once again, and he informed me that he was going to put in a change in MOS request. He wants me to take the ASTB again on Monday, and put in the request before the Commandant signs off on the candidate packets. Im not sure how much difference this request will make, but I guess all I can do now is study and pray. I appreciate everyone's input.

Status
Not open for further replies.