• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should i take again?

itjoew

I and received a OAR of 45. I am applying for Crypto, Intel, and SWO. Is this a good score to go with or should I study more and retake?

kidday03

I got picked up with a 49 and there have been others to get picked up with lower scores. If I were you, I would apply with that score and keep studying while you wait for the results. It also depends what the rest of your application looks like.

nugget61

pilot
I got picked up with a 49 and there have been others to get picked up with lower scores. If I were you, I would apply with that score and keep studying while you wait for the results. It also depends what the rest of your application looks like.
If I'm not mistaken you were picked up for supply - kinda apples and oranges so that doesn't help him.

I and received a OAR of 45. I am applying for Crypto, Intel, and SWO. Is this a good score to go with or should I study more and retake?

Best advice - apply with what you have. If you're not picked up, retake and reapply the following month (this gets you out of having to wait the 6 month cool off time). If you're picked up then you're good.
Just know if you retake then you've burned 2 of your 3 chances to take the test.

kidday03

I think it applies... on this forum you see people from all communities picked up with various scores. IMHO I think if someone doesn't have a high OAR score, but has a competetive package they should apply and see what happens. You can only take the test 3 times, but can apply as many times as it takes. Also, SWO is one of his choices and i've seen people with scores around a 45 get pro rec. Just trying to help when I can =)

Devil Duck

I got picked up for intel with a 50. I think ASTB is just one data point - in addition to experience, education, etc. Now, if you're weak in many areas you should affect what you can - the ASTB. I took the test cold, six years out of grad school and eight out of undergrad. I did not study, and clearly should have. I think that if one were to prepare for the exam, a score much higher than 50 is probable.

das

Contributor
I studied for about two weeks and got 8/8/7/68. Keep in mind, though, that much of the ASTB is an aptitude test; i.e., you can't "study" for all of it (though you certainly can practice!). Also, as others have indicated, ASTB/OAR is only one data point considered.

von3223

Hey everyone, I just took astb and got a 48 4, 5, 4....My first choice is for aviation (SNA & NFO), but for my second choice I'm debating between SWO and Intel. BTW I have a 3.7 GPA and awesome letter of rec's w/ tons of community service.

Judging from my scores, what would you reccomend?? SWO V. Intel??? Thanks in advance
:icon_mi_1

m26

Contributor
If you studied hard and didn't implode during the test it may be better to just apply as is. If not, I'd say do it again. I thought NA slots were averaging 7s at the last boards, so if you can improve you'd be well served to have another go at it.

WEGL12

VT-28
Von3223: I agree with m26 that it may be wise to retake because the averages were 7s on the last board. But if you plan to take the ASTB again I recommend taking a good month or two and thoroughly study for the test. Don’t rush into retaking just to get an application in because if you score the same or lower then you only have one more try.

Another thing, in my opinion don’t apply for a certain field because you have a higher chance of getting selected. Look into each community and see which one you like more. Apply for communities that you will enjoy. The worse thing that can happen is you are a non-select and you apply again. Picking fields just because you are more competitive at one than the other can be dangerous. You might get accepted and find out you hate what you got picked up for. So make sure you are going to be happy with either Intel or SWO. Just my view on things.