• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I stay or should I go? Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying And Love HSC.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
A better boarding rate doesn't mitigate the risk for E2 crew members nor the risk of personnel working on the flight deck during flight ops. No one that I can recall has ejected alongside the carrier because they ran out of gas.....not in a long, long while.

It will be interesting to see how the SAR requirement is divided up amongst the air wing with the reduced HSC footprint we seem to be moving to.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Crossthread from "No More CQs?" - with widespread PLM use and attendant boarding rate increase, CNAF should revisit CV NATOPS SAR requirements, especially as deck/hangar space becomes more and more premium.

They are. HSC's footprint is being significantly reduced in future carrier deployments. There is much grinding of teeth from what I can tell regarding how to find a solution between the gap between reduced hours on the carrier but same number of PG/LOG requirements. What you're getting at is being seriously considered.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
They are. HSC's footprint is being significantly reduced in future carrier deployments. There is much grinding of teeth from what I can tell regarding how to find a solution between the gap between reduced hours on the carrier but same number of PG/LOG requirements. What you're getting at is being seriously considered.

Does CV NATOPS still only require official ‘plane guard’ during launch and recovery? Also, can’t said plane guard be filled with a cruiser or destroyer in shotgun off the carrier?

In other words, I’m pretty sure the answer is already there if the Navy wants to reduce helo plane guard, it’s just an issue if they actually do it or not. If they do, it’s gonna really suck the hours away from HSC JOs.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Does CV NATOPS still only require official ‘plane guard’ during launch and recovery? Also, can’t said plane guard be filled with a cruiser or destroyer in shotgun off the carrier?

In other words, I’m pretty sure the answer is already there if the Navy wants to reduce helo plane guard, it’s just an issue if they actually do it or not. If they do, it’s gonna really suck the hours away from HSC JOs.
Yes, the wording is "launch and recovery," which allows the PG ship to reposition or the PG helo to refuel between cycles.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yes, the wording is "launch and recovery," which allows the PG ship to reposition or the PG helo to refuel between cycles.
PG help is a vestige of when L/R had much higher mishap rates like in the 50s. If you happen to clack two jets together away from Mom or put in a USMC helos filled with grunts one PG Helo isn't going to cut it anyways. Pulling 28 souls from the water will take several trips and if someone ejects 100+mi away from Mom it's going to take SAR a good while to BUSTER there (provided they have the gas). If you work these type of worst case problems backwards you see that PG is really only good for crashes in close.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
PG help is a vestige of when L/R had much higher mishap rates like in the 50s. If you happen to clack two jets together away from Mom or put in a USMC helos filled with grunts one PG Helo isn't going to cut it anyways. Pulling 28 souls from the water will take several trips and if someone ejects 100+mi away from Mom it's going to take SAR a good while to BUSTER there (provided they have the gas). If you work these type of worst case problems backwards you see that PG is really only good for crashes in close.
You didn't ever work on the CMV-22 program did you?:D

Pags

N/A
pilot
You didn't ever work on the CMV-22 program did you?:D
I knew a guy....handsome devil for sure...he'd say the CMV won't save you either since it can only do Search and raft kicker currently due to current VRM policies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

Additionally, it allows the PG helo to be the log helo ferrying things and people from ship to ship. Most of the time during PG, I had some form of cargo in the back; in fact when I got my rescue, I had a couple of boxes of mail we were willing to jettison if required (it wasn't... brought aboard 1x F/A-18 CO and a couple of boxes of mail on my next recovery. Good headwork dictates not flying during launches and recoveries with (many) other people in the back, but sometimes that's unavoidable.