• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I retake the ASTB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would it look bad to the board though if they see that I took 12 hours of basket weaving and made A's that last semester? I feel that it would stand out and make it obvious that I was trying to boost my GPA.
As long as you complete the core requirements for your major, the electives are just that... your choice. The Navy should not care what subject/s they are. Nothing wrong with boosting your GPA.:D
I imagine they look at the school, the major, the GPA and if calc/physics/etc courses were taken. I don't think they are going to look at the transcript that deeply. Just my guess. Also, I wouldnt think it could look bad.
Agree with this, they have numerous packages to consider & I doubt they would go through a transcript to investigate one's elective courses. In addition, boosting your GPA to compete for any competitive slot where GPA is weighted so heavily, only makes sense. It is neither illegal or unethical.:)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

You're right. I'm not quite in my last semester though. I still have 3 more to go (45 hours remaining, including current courses). The very last semester I will only be taking 6 credit hours. Would it be frowned upon if I "padded" my GPA by taking a bunch of easy classes and doing well in them? If I do this, my GPA can come close or even cross the 3.0 mark.

When BDCP was fairly active I can't tell you how many of my BDCP and NUPOC guys took easy last terms, one of my NUPOC's took choir, piano, some PE type credit and one "hard" class

BackOrdered

Contributor
When BDCP was fairly active I can't tell you how many of my BDCP and NUPOC guys took easy last terms, one of my NUPOC's took choir, piano, some PE type credit and one "hard" class

I got bored and took NROTC classes in BDCP, go figure

Navy Ship

As long as you complete the core requirements for your major, the electives are just that... your choice. The Navy should not care what subject/s they are. Nothing wrong with boosting your GPA.:D

Agree with this, they have numerous packages to consider & I doubt they would go through a transcript to investigate one's elective courses. In addition, boosting your GPA to compete for any competitive slot where GPA is weighted so heavily, only makes sense. It is neither illegal or unethical.:)
BzB

Well ok. I will have to pay a bit more tuition to do this. But I suppose it may pay off in the long run

exNavyOffRec

I got bored and took NROTC classes in BDCP, go figure

We had a person in BDCP who took NROTC classes in addition to the normal workload, ended up nearly being dropped because grades dropped, I said drop those classes, the USN will teach you what you need to know later, next term and after grades rose, big surprise that time management is important.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well ok. I will have to pay a bit more tuition to do this. But I suppose it may pay off in the long run
I am not trying to talk you into something that's going to make a mess of your budget. Is "a bit more tuition" worth turning a borderline into a competitive package? I guess it would depend on how bad you want selection aaannd the ensuing opportunities... YOUR call, I'd part with my "beer money" for that shot!:eek:

*Eyes on the Prizes!
NA Wings.gif
NFO Wings.png O' Crest-1.jpg
BzB

Navy Ship

I am not trying to talk you into something that's going to make a mess of your budget. Is "a bit more tuition" worth turning a borderline into a competitive package? I guess it would depend on how bad you want selection aaannd the ensuing opportunities... YOUR call, I'd part with my "beer money" for that shot!:eek:

*Eyes on the Prizes!
View attachment 12512
View attachment 12513 View attachment 12514
BzB

No worries. I'll consider your advice carefully.

I would say that the extra class and added tuition will be well worth the higher chance of selection and ensuring opportunities.

Thanks everyone for your advice.