• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I retake the ASTB

Navy Ship

Hi there. I recently took the ASTB Form 5 and scored a 8/7/9 65. However my GPA is very low. It is about a 2.6 - 2.8. My major is Computer Science. I still have several hours of classes to complete so hence the range of GPA.

I will be applying for SNA soon. My recruiter does not want me to retake the ASTB. But with a PFAR of 7, should I retake it before they change over to the new ASTB? If I score lower on my second attempt, my scores will replace my current scores.

Thanks for your help.

Renegade One

None
Hi there. ...My recruiter does not want me to retake the ASTB...If I score lower on my second attempt, my scores will replace my current scores.

Thanks for your help.
Probably not much help, but it sounds like a coin-toss on your part. Could come up chicken…could come up feathers.

What's your Recruiters rationale…has s/he shared that with you?

Navy Ship

Probably not much help, but it sounds like a coin-toss on your part. Could come up chicken…could come up feathers.

What's your Recruiters rationale…has s/he shared that with you?

My recruiter says that the Navy needs pilots and the ASTB will offset my GPA. However, I have these lists that I got from the OCS area of the forums. Credit goes to users LFCFAN and MEW.

SNA.jpg

Applicants to March 2013 board:
Name GPA
MK91 3.05 8 7 8 71
Afas1 2.99 8 7 8 71
Lincoln 3.38 9 8 9 66
Sneaky 3.09 8 8 7 66
Strandluper 3.4 8 8 8 65
Casey123 3.4 7 7 7 63
Brou 3.42 61
J.McGinnis 3.37 7 7 7 60
Alaurin 3.28 7 6 6 60
DSCHorr 3.2 6 5 6 60
BleedGreen 3.45 7 8 7 59
Chi.guy 3.6 56
Hay 3.09 5 5 5 55
Sumit 3.88 54
Jhuff 3.3 6 7 7 53
Graham 3.3 6 6 7 53
Roflsaurus 3.8 6 7 8 51
Patton307 6 7 7 51
zmayo 3.56 6 7 7 50
YoungAviator 3.4 6 7 6 50
Manbearpig 3.03 5 6 6 50
USAF_WX2USA 3.11 49
Navy Airdale 3 5 7 4 49
VFR 3.78 5 6 5 47
Naval60 3.7 47
McHale 3 5 6 4 43
Tenzo 3.4 41

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There's little you can do except get straight As in your last semester, apply, and cross your fingers. You spent 3 years earning a 2.6-2.8 GPA, so that is going to affect your opportunities in life.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I wouldn't recommend a retake unless you somehow got those scores with virtually no studying. Are there any extenuating circumstances to explain your GPA? Did a few bad classes or a bad freshman year do it? I don't know how the board thinks, but those things might make a difference.

There have been a very high number of aviation NPQs at OCS in the last few months - moreso than normal. This might work in your favor.

Navy Ship

There's little you can do except get straight As in your last semester, apply, and cross your fingers. You spent 3 years earning a 2.6-2.8 GPA, so that is going to affect your opportunities in life.

You're right. I'm not quite in my last semester though. I still have 3 more to go (45 hours remaining, including current courses). The very last semester I will only be taking 6 credit hours. Would it be frowned upon if I "padded" my GPA by taking a bunch of easy classes and doing well in them? If I do this, my GPA can come close or even cross the 3.0 mark.

Navy Ship

I wouldn't recommend a retake unless you somehow got those scores with virtually no studying. Are there any extenuating circumstances to explain your GPA? Did a few bad classes or a bad freshman year do it? I don't know how the board thinks, but those things might make a difference.

There have been a very high number of aviation NPQs at OCS in the last few months - moreso than normal. This might work in your favor.

It was indeed a few bad classes during freshman year. I have some time to pick it up though

I forgot to mention that on the ASTB it was mostly the Spatial Apperception section that took my score down. I felt that I did good on the others. But, the spatial on the real ASTB was much harder than any of the practice tests I have done. Is it common for the same Aviation / Nautical Information questions to show up on multiple forms of the ASTB?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
None of these applicants have a GPA as low as mine. So I'm unsure what to do.
You have great ASTB scores in the bank now, and it's a real longshot that you could equal/improve with a retest. You should go full ahead in the remaining "few" hours, to improve your GPA to the high end 2.8(+) you cite in the OP. They may well consider favorably, the difficulty of your major/Univ. rep, plus their unusually high rate of selection recently. Consider all the advice here, but it's gonna be your call (and a close one at that)!:)
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would it be frowned upon if I "padded" my GPA by taking a bunch of easy classes and doing well in them? If I do this, my GPA can come close or even cross the 3.0 mark.
Were it I, that's what I would do. If you could crank it up to 3.0+, you shoud be in great shape.;)

*You can usually get better quality advice when your profile is informative, i.e., Univ., Navy goals, etc.
BzB

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
Your ASTB scores look pretty solid. With 3 semesters of school remaining, I would focus on those studies and trying to improve your GPA to the best of your ability.

Navy Ship

Were it I, that's what I would do. If you could crank it up to 3.0+, you shoud be in great shape.;)

*You can usually get better quality advice when your profile is informative, i.e., Univ., Navy goals, etc.
BzB

Would it look bad to the board though if they see that I took 12 hours of basket weaving and made A's that last semester? I feel that it would stand out and make it obvious that I was trying to boost my GPA.

yakboyslim

None
I imagine they look at the school, the major, the GPA and if calc/physics/etc courses were taken. I don't think they are going to look at the transcript that deeply. Just my guess. Also, I wouldnt think it could look bad.

My last semester was only 15 hours of bogus required classes I just hadnt done yet. Obviously did not affect my application (already in BDCP) just saying that those things happen even if people arent trying to swing their GPA.