• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

should I retake the ASTB?

C130_girl

C130 girl
I just took the exam yesterday. Got 7/7/6 and 62. I was disapointed when I saw the results (I did amazing on the AFOQT), but my recruiter kept saying that I did really well and that my scores are very competitive.

Here are my other stats:
E-5 in the Air Force Reserves and have Veteran status due to a deployment last year.
Will have LOR's from O-6 and O-5.
Current job is as an engineer for aerospace company.
Numerous leadership roles in college.
15 hours towards private pilot

And here's where my hesitation lies:
2.9 GPA in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering.

Are my scores competitive enough or should I retake the test?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I think you have great results and do not need to retake. Trust your recruiter.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I'd say your scores are pretty solid, especially the OAR. Unless you're sure you would score better the second time around, I would see what the board thinks of them.

And I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA considering its a technical major.

My GPA is similar to yours, although I was a political science major, and my OSO said I'd be good to go. Though I'm assuming you're going Navy and not USMC?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
My GPA was similar to yours and I got picked up with no prior service and LoRs from employers and a professor. My ASTB scores were 8/7/8 69, but I think you have a competitive package.

If you don't get picked up you can always retake it.

FSF17

pilot
I'm right there with you on the score... I was told it was a very good score by my recruiter... and from looking on this site, I think you and I should be OK. Good luck...

BackOrdered

Contributor
If you still need another vote of confidence, you have mine. The GPA will be offset by the fact your major is technical. I say go for it.

staff03

what would you guys say to a similar astb score and a very slightly higher gpa, but for a non-technical major?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
what would you guys say to a similar astb score and a very slightly higher gpa, but for a non-technical major?

I'd say go ahead an apply. If you don't get picked up, you can always re-take it to strengthen your application.

In other words, why waste the time and effort to make something better when it might already be good enough.

rwstelma

Should I retake?

Great stuff guys... I just took the ASTB on Saturday and scored 53/7/8/8 and wondering if I should retake it? I am applying for Pilot. I saw that the avg for Pilot was 58/7/7/7. My recruiter said he would send my package, but I could retake if I wanted to. Any advice? I am pretty sure I can do better, especially with a month more to prepare. I am not sure what section or sections I did poorly on since they can't tell you that. It appears my Nautical/Aviation & Spatial sections were good. I wish I could have some insight into which section that makes up the OAR needs work. Maybe I should just focus on all three.

Thanks

BigRed389

None
IIRC the OAR is all math, verbal, and mechanical...when I walked out I was pretty sure I lost all my OAR points off the mechanical.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Great stuff guys... I just took the ASTB on Saturday and scored 53/7/8/8 and wondering if I should retake it? I am applying for Pilot. I saw that the avg for Pilot was 58/7/7/7. My recruiter said he would send my package, but I could retake if I wanted to. Any advice? I am pretty sure I can do better, especially with a month more to prepare. I am not sure what section or sections I did poorly on since they can't tell you that. It appears my Nautical/Aviation & Spatial sections were good. I wish I could have some insight into which section that makes up the OAR needs work. Maybe I should just focus on all three.

Thanks
I think you have good enough scores. Beware on the retake, you could do worse and be stuck with the scores. Your overall application is a big picture and not just a standardized test score. What are the rest of your stats?

rwstelma

Thanks Guys,

I recently earned my masters from Boston University in Computer Information Systems and finished with a 3.5 GPA. I have No prior enlistment and I have 6 LOR's (one from a state representative) which are all really good. I also have no hours towards a PPL. Did I miss anything?

Thanks,