• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I lose weisght before I do my medical exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

stefloi

I wanted to ask y'all... I weigh 200 lbs and I m 5 11 According to the tables I should be 192 lbs...what do I do? should I go ahead and do the medical anyway or should I drop 8 lbs? My recruiter says it doesnt really matter for submitting the application
boggled_125.gif

NavyLonghorn

Are you fit, or are you not fit? If you are not fit, then why would you not want to try to loose weight?

Also if you are not fit, and trying to get in OCS soon, you need to start cracking right away anyways, PFT standards arent that hard, but, they take some work to catch up with.

And if you are fit, they shouldn't give you a hard time. A SEAL applicant (prior enlisted SEAL who then went on to play football at UT was at MEPS at the same time as me. He was 6'6 and as wayyyyy over weight. However, he was a monster of pure muslce, so, it wasnt a problem obviously.

jaerose

Yeah, it has to do with your neck/waist ratio. That's how they estimate your BF%. I would say that if you think you're out of shape then work out, but if your neck is 1/2 of your waist size, then you'll be within limits. So, if you're a bit softer than you'd like to be, but your neck is 17" and your waist is between 34-35" you'll be ok. You can be worse than that and I've seen it, but that's a rough guideline. I'm 5'9 and I had a tonsillectomy 2 months before our last PRT and couldn't work out, so I gained a bunch of weight, but I still passed. Just to give you and idea, I weigh 206-lbs. right now, but my neck is 17.5". That's why I still fall within limits...they say I should weigh 188-lbs. We'll see when I go to OCS =)

JR
www.jdroseberry.info

bisouss69

If you get to MEPS and do your weight and height and you are not in standards then you will have to be taped like they said before. If you pass tape.. no problem. But if you dont.. you will have to lose the weight. Its better to lose the weight anyways.. you dont want to be out of shape before OCS if you get selected. If you have a small neck and big hips.. forget making tape. Just lose the weight. If you dont.. they wont let you into OCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.