• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I go for Marines or Navy?

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
Hey guys I am just starting this thread because I heard the current status of Marine fighters and I do not know if Navy is having the same issue. Right now as a college student I am not worried on aircraft selection or what percent get fighters yadayada I just want a realistic answer on this one, should I pursue Naval Aviation even if their aircraft are falling apart?

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys I am just starting this thread because I heard the current status of Marine fighters and I do not know if Navy is having the same issue. Right now as a college student I am not worried on aircraft selection or what percent get fighters yadayada I just want a realistic answer on this one, should I pursue Naval Aviation even if their aircraft are falling apart?

I am surprised you didn't get blasted for this post, you should use the search function, but to be right to the point if you sign up to be a Naval Aviator there are no guarantees what you could get, you get what you get and be happy you get to fly.

jtmedli

pilot
The status of AC shouldn't be your concern. Lifestyle and officership should be the primary concern. Many communities in the Navy have AC that are in perfectly good shape. Jets may not exactly be one of them. All these things are cyclical. By the time you get into something gray, most of our toys will be pretty fresh and new. F35 should be in the fleet, 60s are all pretty new, and P8s are new.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It's good to see that individuals are taking the health of the services aviation branches into account before making the leap.

I don't personally believe that the health of certain communities will be all that greatly improved by the time he's done with college... we were supposed to have F35s a long time ago, and last I checked the 53K hasn't flown yet. Hornets and 53s are supposed to be around until the mid '20s.

Naval Aviation is fairly healthy outside of hornets and 53s. Seems to be the same with the Marine Corps (excluding harriers)..

I'd seriously look at the Air Force and the ANG and Coast Guard too. A lot of Army fixed wing aviation is contracted out these days but WOFT provides a decent path to helos.

That being said, There is more to picking a service than the health of its aviation communities. The OP and anyone else isn't wrong for taking it into consideration.

Apply to all, see who gives you a job offer and then decide if you want to take it...