• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I even apply???

itjoew

Just wanted to get some thoughts on should I even attempt at putting in on OCS application. Stationed at my new command I am getting pressure from my LT to put in an OCS application. I keep telling him I will and putting it off. I have been in the Navy six years now; I have a BS degree I received before I joined the Navy. My GPA then was a 2.0 when I graduated. I am taking classes to get my Master’s now and I have a 3.5 but I am only a part time student. I have a great naval career, nothing lower than a 4.5 on evals and many awards. I know I would be a great officer but should I even put an application in with my low GPA? Any advice??

N9148Q

Contributor
Im not in the service I have only submitted my package recently and still waiting on the boards. Its seems to me if you want something go for it. Worse case you stay where you are?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Apply or you will never know. The selection boards are going to look at your entire application, not just your undergrad GPA.

Search the boards here, there is great information.

Don't let the low undergrad GPA discourage you. I graduated with a solid 2.6. I knew this wasn't competitive so I went to grad school and graduated with a 3.8. The time in grad school gave me time to pursue many other areas that bolstered my application also. With your Navy background, I think you should go for if it is want you want. From everything I have seen. They boards are all about the whole person concept.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Think of it this way... you have a 100% chance of not getting accepted if you don't put in your package. If you've got the opportunity, why not try? What's the worst that can happen? They say no, and you'll continue to do what you were going to do if you hadn't tried. At least if you do, you won't have that nagging "what if?" lurking in the back of your mind for the rest of your days.

Brunes

pilot
Everyone so far hit it. If you DON'T try there is NO way it'll happen. If you DO try and it DOESN'T happen- No loss.
GO FOR IT!!

(With history in the service and the more recent grades from grad school- I would think you older GPA would hold less weight....but that's a matter of opinion really...)

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
I could be wrong as I had no exposure to these kinds of boards, but I would think that great evals as a Sailor and good grades in grad school would trump any crappy undergraduate grades. That just seems to be how the reasonable person would look at it.

Hell, give it a shot, see what happens. If you don't make it, it might be a blow to the ego, but that's about all that you'd be out for trying.

beaverslayer

pilot
Visual response here. But in all seriousness, what the others have said is right on. Worst case scenario if you apply is you stay where you are, which is the guaranteed outcome of not applying. Give it a shot!

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
When I was looking into applying for the boards, one of the things they said was that if you are not selected, taking another semester and raising your GPA is considered a major change and you are able to reapply under those circumstances. I was would say that clearly through your service you have taken school more seriously and shown in through your current GPA plus you did it while serving your country. I think depending on your ASTB score you could be considered very competitive.