• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joem81

Hi,

I just became a member today and have questions about my pilot candidacy:

I took the ASTB yesterday: OAR 58, AQR 6, PFAR 5, NFO 7. Not too bad but they're telling me sevens. If I take it over I can probably pick it up a little by studying the aeronautical. However, the complication is I need eye surgery to qualify on the medical. Should I make sure I get those sevens before the surgery? Is it possible I would get in with these scores (GPA 3.1, physics, good school)?

joem81

How bad I want it may be a moot point. I am getting at probability: can I say chances are good I will get in or not? Feeling confident and that I am not wasting my time is important. It would be helpful to know, say, how many people are let in to the pilot programs with scores lower than sevens, what were those scores, and if waivers are given readily to those with eye surgeries.

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Taking the time to pursue such a career is never a 'waste of time' if its what you REALLY want to do. We are asked these questions a million times, though we have NO way of knowing with certainty. It's extremely competetive right now, all you can do is put forth your best effort and let the chips fall where they may. Your scores are respectable, especially given its a physics degree, but no one knows for sure. Retake the ASTB, make sure to get a high pft score, good letters of rec, etc. and get in the game. If you're not confident enough in yourself without getting a pat on the back from us, you're behind the curve already. These are ALL things that are up to YOU, not us. Good Luck.

joem81

Ok, you're right, I should have the confidence if it is what I want and thank you for putting me in my place. I am in the beginning of the process and what I do not know makes me insecure in my pursuit (though through this and other sources I learn). It has been hard deciding to want to join the military and not go mainstream with my friends into a civilian job.

I have not, though, yet heard from someone about the surgery or how it affects the process. Thank you for your support and I do wish more more in response to my initial questions or any subsequent responses.

arkansastrumpet

I just wanted to let you know that I wasn't even expecting to get NFO. It was my last choice, kind of a "hey why not" thing, and I got picked up for it. I think you should definitely try. I was told my scores weren't good enough for it, but I got it.

You never know.

Meridiani

Run a search on "PRK"--you'll find a number of recent and future candidates who've had eye surgery. I had it myself, but was picked up for SNFO rather than SNA. I haven't been keeping up with the availability of waivers for PRK, but I'm sure it's been covered in recent topics here.

ander37

K-rock
Hey Joem,
I have similar stats to you.
On the ASTB I got 8,9,8,63. I applied in November with a 3.15 GPA with a Computer Science major with 1.5 years left. I was not selected for BDCP SNA (my only preference) in that month. I was told that it was my GPA that was probably the kicker because they are looking for people 3.5+ right now as they are really full. I plan to reapply this summer, probably with the same GPA, maybe a little higher. I am going to reapply until I graduate in Jun 05, it shouldn't be this competitive forever. I hope to get lucky, but until then, I will reapply until they get annoyed with me, and then apply again. :->

Status
Not open for further replies.