• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I apply a 3rd time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougar23

Hey Murphdog,

So what do they do about since you have so many college hours from already being in school? I saw somewhere on here about Grad school? How does that work out?

ip568

None
Yes! Few things are more powerful than persistence. I had to apply three times to get into AOCS from college. Third time did it. Years later, when I was reviewing my file, I saw this comment:

"Anthropology major. Vision 20/100 uncorrected. Third application for program. Private pilot. Motivation ++++++++++++. Recommend waiver and acceptance into program"

ip568
USNR (Ret.)
(3,000 hours in P-3s and more stories than you can fit on a webpage)

Crowbar

None
There are only 2 reasons you should not apply again.
1) you aren't eligible anymore
2) you just don't want to anymore

Everybody brings up good points about spending six years in college, are there any added benefits from going to Annapolis, etc etc. Those are things you need to decide for yourself but if you want it, don't stop until you get it. If at any one single point you get frustrated and just say "to hell with it" there's a good chance you could end up somewhere other than where you want to be.

Murphdog82

Cougar,

I think you're asking about previous college hours. Unfortunatley, they don't transfer...to validate courses here you have to take validation exams. The thought is that if you've had the course you should be able to do well enought to pass the exam.

cougar23

I know you have to validate out cause stuff doesn't transfer. Did you do it though? And how likely are you to be able to start graduate school during firstie year?

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I was able to validate stuff from my plebe year. If you can, do it. It won't ever really hurt you. If you fail the course, you are still ahead and just fall into the normal test matrix when you take it again.

Graduate school takes a lot of effort here. You can either start it while here (if you have space) or right after. Either way, there are only about 30-40 for either option per class.

cougar23

My delimma is that I've always wanted to go to USNA because IMO it's the best commissioning source FOR ME. There are no schools near me with a NROTC, and I'm already at the school I want to attend (second to USNA).

The problem I now face is that, at the Academy, I would be able to experience each of the communities before having to choose one. Assuming that I don't get in this time either, then I plan on applying for OCS via BDCP after I become eligible following this upcoming year.

The main problem is that, without experiencing each community like I would at USNA, you have to choose one to apply for OCS, and I can't decide between aviation and subs. BOTH interest and appeal to me. My decision doesn't hinge around the money issue, or the chance to fly. While I think that flying would be great, it's not my sole motivation for that community, much less to "only fly jets" like some rediculous posters on this site. My decision will be based on what information I can gather about the typical days/lives of an officer in each community, but I've posed those questions in the "sub life" thread elsewhere on this site.

I just don't know whether to go for my dream of being at USNA, or try to decide which community to apply to, and apply after this year, and that would put me into the Navy two years before I would if I went to USNA (I'm about to be a soph. this coming academic year).

Any advice, with the above points taken into consideration, would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.