• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I apply a 3rd time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cougar23

Well, I just got back by "not selected for Class of 09 or NAPS" letter. I was triple q'd and everything, so I just didn't get offered a slot. This was my second year applying for it. I don't understand why I didn't get a slot after high school last year, but this year I feel my package was even better since my college gpa of 3.67(Comp. Sci major) was higher than my high school gpa(3.45).

Anyway, I was just wondering what people think, should I apply for a 3rd time? I don't know if it's common for people to do, or even to get in after two years of college. I know last year by BGO told me one guy he knew from Texas A&M went after his junior year, but idk. I still plan on now applying for BDCP, but should I give USNA another shot? The thing is, I love that place, I've been there 3 times to visit since my freshman yr in high school, I want to go there so bad, and getting shot down twice kinda has me down....

Just wondering what I should do next.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Try PLC or BDCP. If you want to fly, they are better anyway because you'll find out if you got that sna or snfo slot right after you apply, not three years down the road. Your gpa and your major is solid. Do well on the ASTB and the PFT/PRT and you have a good shot. Good luck!

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Definately look at other options. If you are set on the Academy, then apply as much as you want until you are too old. Anything past 1-2 years of graduation is completely irrelevant to where you went to college. Just do your research and make the best decision you can.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
cougar23 said:
....... should I give USNA another shot? The thing is, I love that place, I've been there 3 times to visit since my freshman yr in high school, I want to go there so bad, and getting shot down twice kinda has me down....

I don't know what you should do next, but ask yourself this: Do you want to be a Naval or Marine Officer?

2tmb.jpg
1tmb.jpg

Or ...... Is it more important to say "I'm a USNA graduate" ??? I faced the same thing many years ago ... and missed the Ring Dance, too.

You're burning daylight .....

(edit: no smiles .... )

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
you gotta ask yourself is it worth it.. basically if you got in the 3rd attempt you'd have invested 6 years in college for a bachelors degree (though not too unsual for some)... by the time you graduated the academy and got your commission you could have finished flight school and maybe even the FRS. while it's a great place to be from it offers no real advantages in the fleet... especially as a JO. i think BDCP or ROTC college program is where you should look.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ask Integer1, he seems to be the expert here....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Do PLC or BDCP. They are great programs. You get to go to school and you don't have to deal with all the extra "stuff" of the academy or ROTC, so you can just concentrate on grades and getting your degree. As a junior officer, you're treated the same whether you came from the academy, rotc, or ocs. You get paid and get tuition assitance and the best part is you find out what you'll be doing in the Marine Corps or Navy when you get accepted.

Integer1

Banned
usunkmybship said:
I would do it again

In my expert opinion, I would apply again, too. I have just been rejected, as well. For the second time as you, as well. My major is the same one as yours, as well. We're also probably both males, as well. I think there is a conspiracy.

If I remember correctly, they need 65% or so of their class to be engineering majors. Computer Science is not in that tier. Also, something else I know was that they prefer GPAs of 3.7 and above. So, just pull up your GPA a little bit. But, if I could do it over again, I would have 1) become a citizen before graduating high school and 2) learned about the Navy before graduating high school and 3) learned about what an Officer is before graduating high school and 4) learned about the USNA before graduating high school and 5) applied in high school and 6) if I didn't get in, I would have chosen an engineering field since that is what they want the majority of the students to be and reapplied to the USNA again. Of course, I didn't learn about the USNA or about the Navy or about being a Naval Officer or become a citizen of the US to even know any better about anything like that, until I was 20, when I was first eligible to apply for anything, in January. So, I had to apply the following years when I was 21, and then 22 years old.

Speaking of myself, this reminds me that I happened to be rejected. Did I mention that? I would apply, but I am not sure if I am eligible to apply again.

usunkmybship

It's redundant on this forum, and I understand from your perspective, that I could do another program and that makes all the sense in the world. It's also asked do you want to be a Naval Officer or do you want to be a USNA grad. From my point of view I want both. I don't have to pinpoint every reason why I want to go there, I just do. It's not fair to say just choose something else and get over it. Trust me WE WILL move on at some time, but not now. Then we can accept that it's time for something else when the moment comes.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Integer1 said:
In my expert opinion, I would apply again, too. I have just been rejected, as well. For the second time as you, as well. My major is the same one as yours, as well. We're also probably both males, as well. I think there is a conspiracy.

If I remember correctly, they need 65% or so of their class to be engineering majors. Computer Science is not in that tier. Also, something else I know was that they prefer GPAs of 3.7 and above. So, just pull up your GPA a little bit. But, if I could do it over again, I would have 1) become a citizen before graduating high school and 2) learned about the Navy before graduating high school and 3) learned about what an Officer is before graduating high school and 4) learned about the USNA before graduating high school and 5) applied in high school and 6) if I didn't get in, I would have chosen an engineering field since that is what they want the majority of the students to be and reapplied to the USNA again. Of course, I didn't learn about the USNA or about the Navy or about being a Naval Officer or become a citizen of the US to even know any better about anything like that, until I was 20, when I was first eligible to apply for anything, in January. So, I had to apply the following years when I was 21, and then 22 years old.

Speaking of myself, this reminds me that I happened to be rejected. Did I mention that? I would apply, but I am not sure if I am eligible to apply again.

Ok, first off, don't go spouting out wrong information. Second, out of the three groups of majors, each has about a third of the class. they try to get about 65% of each class to be both group I (engineering) and group II ( Quantitative econimics, physics, chemistry, etc).

You are free to ask questions, but if you do not know for certain, just don't say anything.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
cougar23 said:
Well, I just got back by "not selected for Class of 09 or NAPS" letter.

Anyway, I was just wondering what people think, should I apply for a 3rd time? I don't know if it's common for people to do, or even to get in after two years of college. I know last year by BGO told me one guy he knew from Texas A&M went after his junior year, but idk. I still plan on now applying for BDCP, but should I give USNA another shot? The thing is, I love that place, I've been there 3 times to visit since my freshman yr in high school, I want to go there so bad, and getting shot down twice kinda has me down....

Sure, apply again. But also apply to all the other programs as well. Plan for the worst and hope for the best during the process, and maybe things will work out the way you want them to. If they don't, at least you know you did your best and may have other options if you need them.

motiv8r2007

E-yut!!!
FLYMARINES makes a good point that the PLC program might be the best deal for you depending on what you want to do, although it looks like you're pretty gung ho on coming to the Academy. There are a lot of USNA grads who go Navy Air and I don't have the exact numbers of each different commissioning source and what the makeup is for the Navy. You'd have to ask someone who is working for BUPERS. In the Marine Corps, it really doesn't matter which commissioning source you're from. In fact, only about 10% of the officers coming into The Basic School are Academy grads. Almost 60% come into TBS from the PLC or OCC program. So you find out really quickly that you can't be arrogant about being an Academy grad, or become a "ring knocker" as they say in the Navy or Marine Corps for that matter. In any case, there might be a little rivalry, but keep in mind you're fighting for the same team: either the U.S. Navy or the USMC.

Are you going Navy or Marine Corps air? If you're going Navy Air, I can't give you the info about going the route from Navy OCS. I was in a similar spot two years ago: I went to Texas A&M for a year under a Naval ROTC Scholarship and did the whole Corps of Cadets and hated my life because I wasn't at the Academy. Likewise, I wasn't accepted on my first time around, but I made it in on my second try. I was a Physics major (4.0 GPA) and now I'm a Mechanical Engineering major looking to go Marine Air. Of course I'm leaving myself open for criticism, but I came to the Academy to be in a 24/7 military atmosphere which focused on professionalism, leadership, academics, engineering, and athletics. So far, I haven't been disappointed. The only thing that sucks is the liberty policy: you'll only have time to get out on maybe a Saturday or Sunday because of the hardcore academics.

You can do fine with Computer Science because I know many CS majors here. The Academy is what you make out of it, and I'm having a good time with it. By being two years ahead, you can test out of a lot of stuff and possibly start graduate school while you're here at places like Johns Hopkins or the U of Maryland.

FLYMARINES also referred to the fact that you are guaranteed a pilot billet (MOS 7502) from PLC or OCC granted you pass the ASTB, PFT, and you make it through Officer Candidates School at Quantico. If you go Marine Option with an Air contract from the NROTC program, you'll take a specific number of military science courses (i.e. Evolution of Warfare, Weapons Systems, Ethics, Amphibious Warfare, etc.) and you'll do 6 weeks of Marine OCS. If you do PLC: you have no obligation to attend any military classes at your college, but you do have to do two 6-week stints at Marine OCS. For Officer Candidate's Class, you graduate from school and do 10 weeks of OCS and then TBS afterward. After 4 years at the Academy, you have to compete for a Marine spot and then get the Marine Air contract whenever you make your service selection. For the Class of '04: here's a website giving you the details about service selection numbers with relation to Navy Air and Marine Air: <http://www.usna.com/News_Pubs/Publications/Shipmate/2004/03/Career.htm>.

Message me if you want some more information.

navyhornet

If you really, really want the academy, ask someone in the application process why they think that you were not selected.

Murphdog82

don't be too discouraged over it. I'm a Senior now and it took me multiple times to get accepted. I spent a year in college and prep school before I got in. Don't know a lot about NAPS other than what my friends here tell me, but I would take it if you get it next time around.
I think the most helpful thing would be to get to know your congressman's aide who works on the process...if you spend enough time with them (i.e. let them know who you are), and they like you, you'll have a good shot of getting the principle nod. Your grades seem up to snuff and you may just live in a competitive district. That's what happened to me.

If you want more info, I can get it for you...I know a couple of B&G Officers who would be glad to answer your questions. My guess is that you have an officer who's helping you out already, but it's always good to get a second opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.