• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Short Notice ASTB - Taking bets on my odds!

joemcspeed

Gentleman,

With your permission, I hope to use this thread as a reference for those who might unfortunately need to take the ASTB on short notice.

I am a prior active duty Marine Sgt, last week I was told to retake the ASVAB as I have not taken the SATs. Two days later I took it and scored a 93 (GT).

Now my directions are to prep for the ASTB that will be on March 5th (hand written), when the OSO comes to town for a MCFOP. I have searched this site and decided to utilize the Barrons study guide. I just finished and would like to post my results for others to criticize or compare.

Im just your average finance student, with an okay 282 PFT and no aviator LOR's. Below are my BARRONS ASTB test 1 results.

Math Skills: 21/30
Reading Skills: 20/27
Mech. Comp: 27/30
Spat. App: 22/25
Aviation info: 21/30
Aviation Supp: 25/34

I will study my errors and take the 2nd test next week. I will repost those scores and then finally tell all how I do on D-day. BTW I would be ultra-motovated to see some bets/odds on me being selected to your community.
S/F

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Always bet on black...unless your taxes are involved.
225179Passenger57a.jpg

joemcspeed

OK so its been more then a week... Ive only delayed in posting because of the heinous 2nd test results for the barrons study guide. The second test was quite a bit different and unfortunately I was rushed (took the test at 8am had a flight at 12). Crap excuses, I know, So please revalue the over under wager! However, I do have the ARCO pdf test and will do it today.

The big test day is this in less then 48 hours:eek:. It will be insight to wether the suck will take me back under its wing. Here are my Barron's 2nd test scores.

Math Skills: 18/30 (time Mgt. got the best of me for sure)
Reading Skills: 15/27
Mech. Comp: 25/30
Spat. App: 20/25
Aviation Info: 20/30 (tons of names/dates caught me off guard)
Aviation Supp: 23/34

I know these scores are worse. But the purpose of this thread was to give an honest account of how the material works in a short time frame.

Please rain down your last minute tips or reprimand for the results.

-Wimper Fi

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I put your chances at around 42%.

Of course, my community is the civilian one, so bear that in mind.

phrogpilot73

I put your chances at around 42%.
Silly villanelle, he didn't ask what his chances were of getting jets!

You sound pretty damn motivated to me, so I'd take the high side of the over-under as well. Just make sure that you don't get too excited/anxious and rush through the actual test and make stupid errors...

I'm sure the suck would be glad to have you back - after all, they took me back!

joemcspeed

So... Hell with the ARCO pdf its coming down to crunch time. I will begin the test tomorrow at 0730. I dont want to mess with the format of the old test and will just concentrate on the Marine gouge.

Im getting antsy and need to do well.

- STill Wimpering Fi

phrogpilot, thanks for the bode of confidence. Sounds like your a bit of a moto mustang....... errr kill

joemcspeed

ok ok well its now said and done.

Everyone seems to think that it was easier then anticipated. Well Im here to tell ya that its still no easy feat. I made sure to take note that I had taken version 5 hand written.

While studying does help I think a pre-game deuce is just as helpful. As is the purpose of this thread. I would say the barron's book seemed very helpful for mechanical comprehension. The Spat. App was quite a bit more tricky. The Math was pretty damn hard in the time allotted, and I might have written a question down to do it when I finished early on Spat. App. (shhhh)

The Aviation info. was also more indepth but ortherwise generally as barrons had prepared. I would take a better look at the the actual differences between aircraft.

Anyways thanks for you support and help. I will have the results monday or tuesday so everyone can compare.
Thanks

Back to Semper Fi

DSL1990.. sorry I hope I didnt offend you.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
i think you should delete the questions. the navy might consider that cheating and might invalidate your score.

joemcspeed

AHHHHHHHHH AFter a long and painful wait, I am no closer in certainty then ever. My official ASTB scores are 5/6/6 OAR 51.

I was so eager to get scores that were either good or bad, but this borderline crap keeps my life in limbo. Please, tell me what you think. I have a newer PFT of 292 but still no aviator LORs.

Has anyone been selected with such a score? Do you really want anyone in your community who has scored such a lower mediocre score?

S/F
JM

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
AHHHHHHHHH AFter a long and painful wait, I am no closer in certainty then ever. My official ASTB scores are 5/6/6 OAR 51.

I was so eager to get scores that were either good or bad, but this borderline crap keeps my life in limbo. Please, tell me what you think. I have a newer PFT of 292 but still no aviator LORs.

Has anyone been selected with such a score? Do you really want anyone in your community who has scored such a lower mediocre score?

S/F
JM

no matter what your score is, you get two more chances to take this test. study hard on your weak points, and just take it again. this time, you have the luxury of more time, since you can't take it over immediately anyways. so i'm sure you'll do better. who ever did worse on a test the second time they took it?

EDIT: looks like you are above the minimum required. maybe you should talk to your recruiter. no sense in retaking the test if you already scored what you needed.

joemcspeed

^^ you're right, I have a tendency to get a bit eager and impatient when it comes to deciding my future. But none the less I do have two more shots if this is the life I desire.

Speaking of which, I sometimes question my intentions because I didnt grow up looking to the sky. Once in the fleet and then Iraq, I was so much more aware of their capability and became intrigued. Anyhow I appreciate your responses and I just hope the "green weenie" doesnt find me.

errr

FastMover

NFO
None
I was selected for NFO on the Feb boards with a 5/6/6 46. Keep working on improving your application and see what happens. You may just be surprised...

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
I think that the Marines look at the score as either pass or fail. 5/6/6 is a passing score. I got selected for PLC Air with a 6/6/6, so my guess would be that you are fine. Don't quote me on that though since I have zero actual experience in much of anything aside from my countless hours spent looking through gouge on AW.