• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shipping Personal Vehicle To TBS

casey

I am heading to TBS in June (Delta Company) and am planning on taking my vehicle out there. However, I live in CA so it is an awefully long drive. I would like to have it shipped out to VA, but am not sure if the Marine Corps will pay for this. I called someone who said that CONUS will not normally do this without specifications allowing for it on your orders. It is about $1100 to do it through a private company so obviously I dont want to pay for it myself. Has anyone had any experience dealing with this issue that can offer me some advice?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
more than likely they won't pay for it to be shipped...especially if you aren't already on active duty...just suck it up and drive it. They will give you enough time to drive and not have it be too bad.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
marlin said:
I am heading to TBS in June (Delta Company) and am planning on taking my vehicle out there. However, I live in CA so it is an awefully long drive. I would like to have it shipped out to VA, but am not sure if the Marine Corps will pay for this. I called someone who said that CONUS will not normally do this without specifications allowing for it on your orders. It is about $1100 to do it through a private company so obviously I dont want to pay for it myself. Has anyone had any experience dealing with this issue that can offer me some advice?
I've lost count on the number of times I've driven cross country. It's actually pretty enjoyable. Take advantage of the time the MC gives you to travel (they're actually pretty generous) and see some sites along the way. People are always more concerned with seeing the world and traveling to far away places when there are some really great things to see in this country here.

But to answer your question....no, they won't pay to ship your vehicle INCONUS.

casey

Thanks for the replies. I guess the follow up question is does the Marine Corps reimburse you for all of your travel costs if you drive yourself (i.e. Gas, hotels, wear on your vehicle)? Also I have heard that if you just arrange all of your own transportation, that you can be reimburse at a set rate based on how far away you are. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so what the rate is? If this is the case and I decide I still want to ship my vehicle I wonder if I could just use this money to offset (at least in part) the cost of an airplane ticket and having my vehicle transported out there. Any extra information would be appreciated.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
marlin said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess the follow up question is does the Marine Corps reimburse you for all of your travel costs if you drive yourself (i.e. Gas, hotels, wear on your vehicle)? Also I have heard that if you just arrange all of your own transportation, that you can be reimburse at a set rate based on how far away you are. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so what the rate is? If this is the case and I decide I still want to ship my vehicle I wonder if I could just use this money to offset (at least in part) the cost of an airplane ticket and having my vehicle transported out there. Any extra information would be appreciated.

They more than adequately reimburse you for the trip. I drove from San Diego, and got something like $1000. During zero week you will submit a form with you mileage, hotel costs, etc. The money will be direct deposited within a couple weeks. Definitely worth it, though gas prices were substantially lower a year ago...

Crowbar

None
marlin said:
Also I have heard that if you just arrange all of your own transportation, that you can be reimburse at a set rate based on how far away you are. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so what the rate is? If this is the case and I decide I still want to ship my vehicle I wonder if I could just use this money to offset (at least in part) the cost of an airplane ticket and having my vehicle transported out there. Any extra information would be appreciated.

If you travel by air, expect to get reimbursed for a one day plane trip (not much).

If you travel by car, expect to get reimbursed for an X day trip (X equals the number of miles you are from Quantico divided by 350).

In other words, if you buy a plane ticket but say you drove it could come back to bite you in the ass. One of the big accomplishments during zero week is getting your vehicle registered with PMO and getting that obnoxious TBS sticker. Claiming travel for a week long drive then having to explain that your car is on a truck on its way to you...you see where this is going.

One of the TBS guys will have to tell you what the rates are, I forget.

Shadow9660

My home of record was in Cali (as well as my car). When I got to TBS, I had it shipped out. You can shop around different shipping companies and ask for military discount, but it cost me about 6 or 700 for a reputable company if that helps. Yeah, I hate the fact that POV's arent included in moves, but the military will reimburse you for every PCS you do after TBS, but if you dont want to put the miles on your car, you can rent a trailer/ hitch from UHAUL if you DITY.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shadow9660 said:
Yeah, I hate the fact that POV's arent included in moves, but the military will reimburse you for every PCS you do after TBS, but if you dont want to put the miles on your car, you can rent a trailer/ hitch from UHAUL if you DITY.
1) What's the difference between moving before TBS and after TBS? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but is there something that isn't covered before that is after?
2) You can do a DITY (partial dity or full) with any vehicle. Yes, this includes the one you are driving to a new duty station. Personally, I have found that renting a truck from U-Haul/Ryder/Budget/etc along with the dolley makes doing a DITY not worth it.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
1) What's the difference between moving before TBS and after TBS? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but is there something that isn't covered before that is after?
2) You can do a DITY (partial dity or full) with any vehicle. Yes, this includes the one you are driving to a new duty station. Personally, I have found that renting a truck from U-Haul/Ryder/Budget/etc along with the dolley makes doing a DITY not worth it.

The orders that PLCers receive to report to TBS restrict the type of move a little, basically you can't do a PCS carrier move without it being your home of record move. Regardless the Marine Corps won't pay for the shipment of a vehicle inside the continential US as part of any type of move...MANY asked about this in the move to Pensacola, and were denied.