• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
She's a museum ship in Cleveland. She was in dry dock in Erie, PA for much needed repairs and a new paint job.

Yeah, I know, I watched some of the videos. (smiles and stuff)

But seriously, they keep her in amazing shape. It really is impressive.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Stumbled across this Youtube channel which made me look up the USS Cod. Pretty neat to see a fleet boat underway, even if it isn't under her own power. I don't think I've ever seen that other than in a WWII movie or done digitally.

@mad dog and @ChuckMK23 can have one of their man-dates onboard her, now that she's back pier side.

Growing up, my dad had a wooden model (12-14") of this boat that we used to play with, looked identical to the real thing. Kids being kids we probably broke it and lost pieces, no idea where it is now.

jmcquate

Contributor
Yeah, I know, I watched some of the videos. (smiles and stuff)

But seriously, they keep her in amazing shape. It really is impressive.
I grew up in Cleveland. Been on her many times. She is in good shape, evan better now.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I mentioned the 1931 movie “Hell Divers” yesterday which featured the USS Saratoga CV-3 so a few photos today.
Saratoga landing aircraft, 6 June 1935

Saratoga launching aircraft on 31 May 1934 during her Atlantic deployment

Saratoga after having been hit by a kamikaze, 21 February 1945

Carriers Saratoga (center), Lexington (top), and Langley(below) at Puget Sound Navy Yard in 1929

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I well remember Lex when home ported in Pensacola. It was very motivating to AOCS candidates who's lives were otherwise dominated by a USMC Drill Instructor.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Different Lexington. The one in Randy's photo was sunk at Coral Sea. Wasn't the second Lex a dedicated training carrier?
CV-16 started it's life as a fleet Essex carrier during WWII and went through a bunch of lives after WWII...CV/CVA/CVS/CVT/AVT-16...and ended up life as a training carrier.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Different Lexington. The one in Randy's photo was sunk at Coral Sea. Wasn't the second Lex a dedicated training carrier?
You probably know this but for the others reading this that's a different Lexington (CV-2 vs CV-16) .
Oh yeah. I remember the sinking. But without looking closely at dates and not seeing the hull number, I just thought it was a photo before she got the angle deck. I am an idiot overcome by sentimentality for my youthful Navy days.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
CV-16 started it's life as a fleet Essex carrier during WWII and went through a bunch of lives after WWII...CV/CVA/CVS/CVT/AVT-16...and ended up life as a training carrier.
I landed on the Lex (CVT-16) when at the HTs. Certainly not an official trap, but really cool to land on such an historic ship.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Oh yeah. I remember the sinking. But without looking closely at dates and not seeing the hull number, I just thought it was a photo before she got the angle deck. I am an idiot overcome by sentimentality for my youthful Navy days.
Recce fail! Sounds like someone needs some time in the SDO chair to study up! ?