• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting. Thanks, gents. I didn't realize so many of them survived. Not sure I would have been excited about being on the decom team.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Interesting. Thanks, gents. I didn't realize so many of them survived. Not sure I would have been excited about being on the decom team.
The Navy thought they could decontaminate a lot of the ships but found out after the Baker shot that that wasn't possible. For instance, USS Independence spent several years after Crossroads tied up in San Fran as they tried to figure out how to decon her. They eventually gave up and sank her off of the CA coast.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Navy thought they could decontaminate a lot of the ships but found out after the Baker shot that that wasn't possible. For instance, USS Independence spent several years after Crossroads tied up in San Fran as they tried to figure out how to decon her. They eventually gave up and sank her off of the CA coast.
And when Godzilla shows up what do we scream? WHY oh Lord...WHY?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
One thing I did not know is that the Nebraska was painted red so the AF bombardier could find her to hit her. He missed. Also, until I really looked at the image @Pags posted I didn’t realize there were two OS2U Kingfishers on board...:(...I think owning one of those would be kind of fun. I could land it in the Potomac.

Pags

N/A
pilot
One thing I did not know is that the Nebraska was painted red so the AF bombardier could find her to hit her. He missed. Also, until I really looked at the image @Pags posted I didn’t realize there were two OS2U Kingfishers on board...:(...I think owning one of those would be kind of fun. I could land it in the Potomac.
In looking up pictures of the Nevada painted red I came across interesting recent research that purports that the turrets of USN BBs up to Pearl Harbor were painted a mix of red, yellow, blue, and white depending on which BatDiv they were in.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
In looking up pictures of the Nevada painted red I came across interesting recent research that purports that the turrets of USN BBs up to Pearl Harbor were painted a mix of red, yellow, blue, and white depending on which BatDiv they were in.
Damn it! I was just setting off to read in bed last night and I read this. You can’t dangle this kind of information in front of a history type like that...it demands more research. Thankfully you provided enough information that it was easy to look into. Good find on your part and excellent work by the researcher that discovered it for the model build.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Damn it! I was just setting off to read in bed last night and I read this. You can’t dangle this kind of information in front of a history type like that...it demands more research. Thankfully you provided enough information that it was easy to look into. Good find on your part and excellent work by the researcher that discovered it for the model build.

View attachment 25751
Haha...I knew it would make your day even if it meant you had to stay up late digging in to this.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Speaking of BatDiv, this is going to be the main framed print in my soon to be completed library / media room. A print from Wayne Scarpaci based on the photos of the only time all 4 Iowa class battleships were operating together. 7 June 1954

Battleship Division Two: In line abreast formation, 7 June 1954, in the Virginia Capes operating area, on the only occasion that all Iowa class (BB-61 / 66) battleships were photographed operating together. Ship closest to the camera is Iowa (BB-61). The others are (from near to far):Wisconsin (BB-64); Missouri (BB-63) and New Jersey (BB-62).

If you are interested in the Nevada, Mr. Scarpaci (who is from Nevada) has a book about that one tough ship.

https://www.amazon.com/Battleship-N...keywords=wayne+scarpaci&qid=1589411044&sr=8-1

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Part of The Great White Fleet, USS Georgia (BB-15). One of the five Virginia class Pre-Dreadnoughts, she had the misfortune to be very quickly rendered obsolete by both the all big gun HMS Dreadnought and the USS South Carolina classes which came out only a few years later. Several unusual features of this ship include the tumblehome hull shape which soon went out of favor to return a century later with USS Zumwalt. Also, due to the slow firing nature of the 12" main guns, two 8" guns are mounted directly on top to continue firing. Soon after the ship was commissioned, improvements in powder and loading significantly improved rate of fire making the 8" guns directly on top problematic.

The Georgia also had the dual misfortunes of both a turret explosion that killed or wounded 21 and then an outbreak of both the fly and pneumonia that sickened 134+ and killed 7.

Length: 441' 3", Beam: 76' 3" Displacement: 16,000 tons
2 triple expansion reciprocating engines produced 19,000 HP and gave 19 knots
Main armament: 4 (2x2) 12" / 40 cal Mark 4's firing 870 lb shells to 19,000 yards
8 (4x2) 8" / 45 cal Mark 6's firing 260 lb shells to 22,500 yards
12 (12x1) / 6" / 50 cal, 12 (12x1) 3" / 50 cal, 12 (12x1) 3 lb, 4 x 21" torpedo tubes
Main armor: belt: 11" belt, turrets: 12"
Commissioned: 24 Sep 1906, Decommissioned: 15 July 1920

USS Georgia (Battleship # 15) Making 17.707 knots on Run # 9 of her trials, 13 June 1906. Note that her six-inch broadside guns have not yet been installed.

View looking forward from the stern, showing the ship's after 12"/40 and 8"/45 "superposed" gun turret and her mainmast, circa 1907-08.

The "Great White Fleet" steaming in column, probably while departing Hampton Roads, Virginia, at the start of their cruise around the World, December 1907. Kansas (BB-21) is at left, followed by Vermont (BB-20).

Sister ship USS Nebraska BB-14 showing both the hull shape and unusual main gun mountings.

The Nebraska wearing an experimental camouflage scheme, circa 1918.

Attachments

• 1589492984021.png
    1589492984021.png
    447.9 KB · Views: 1

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
USS Huntington CL-107 A Fargo class light cruiser, she was only 1 of 2 completed with the remainder not being built due to the end of WW2. Basically an improved Cleveland class light cruiser, the main differences being a single funnel instead of two, and lowering the 5" gun mounts to improve topside weight. The Huntington's last CO was Arleigh Burke.

USS Huntington (CL 107) at Naples, Italy, circa 30 July - 11 August 1948. She was then commanded by Captain Arleigh A. Burke, USN.

USS Huntington (CL 107) at anchor, Venice, Italy, 30 AUG 1948.

USS Huntington (CL 107) Anchored at Port Said, Egypt, on 22 September 1948, before transiting the Suez Canal on a voyage down the east coast of Africa. View looks forward from Huntington's forward superstructure. The Norwegian merchant ship Vesterøy is moored off her starboard bow.

USS Huntington (CL 107) Approaching Berth M, Duncan Docks, at Capetown, South Africa, in the late afternoon of 15 October 1948. Table Mountain is in the distance.

USS Huntington (CL 107) Entering harbor at Capetown, South Africa, at 1830 hrs, 15 October 1948.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Looking back at Burke's career, it was certainly interesting. In August 1955, Burke succeeded Admiral Robert B. Carney as Chief of Naval Operations. At the time of his appointment as Chief of Naval Operations, Burke was still a rear admiral, upper half (two star) and was promoted over the heads of many Flag Officers who were senior to him. Burke had never served as a vice admiral (three star), so he was promoted two grades at the time of his appointment.[2] Has anyone else been promoted directly from 2 stars to CNO?

Here is the wikipedia writeup if anyone wants to take a quick look. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arleigh_Burke

As for a few more ship photos, staying with cruisers: the last heavy gun cruiser USS Newport News, CA-148.

USS Newport News (CA 148) and USS Midway (CVB 41) during transfer at sea operations, 20 April 1950. Note 3"/50 and 8"/55 guns and wood deck planking on Newport News; 40mm and 5"/54 guns on Midway; radars on both ships. Interesting that the crew on the Newport News are in blues and not dungarees

Starboard bow view while "Med Moored" in Genoa, Italy on 26 October 1958.

Port side forward view while "Med Moored" in Genoa, Italy on 26 October 1958. Good view of the twin 3" anti-aircraft guns that replaced the quad Bofors 40mm

On the Gun line standing by to support the troops, circa December 1968 - June 1969, Vietnam coast; (foreground) USS Newport News (CA 148) & (background) USS New Jersey (BB 62).

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
USS Huntington CL-107 A Fargo class light cruiser, she was only 1 of 2 completed with the remainder not being built due to the end of WW2. Basically an improved Cleveland class light cruiser, the main differences being a single funnel instead of two, and lowering the 5" gun mounts to improve topside weight. The Huntington's last CO was Arleigh Burke.

View attachment 25799
USS Huntington (CL 107) at Naples, Italy, circa 30 July - 11 August 1948. She was then commanded by Captain Arleigh A. Burke, USN.

View attachment 25800
USS Huntington (CL 107) at anchor, Venice, Italy, 30 AUG 1948.

View attachment 25801
USS Huntington (CL 107) Anchored at Port Said, Egypt, on 22 September 1948, before transiting the Suez Canal on a voyage down the east coast of Africa. View looks forward from Huntington's forward superstructure. The Norwegian merchant ship Vesterøy is moored off her starboard bow.

View attachment 25803
USS Huntington (CL 107) Approaching Berth M, Duncan Docks, at Capetown, South Africa, in the late afternoon of 15 October 1948. Table Mountain is in the distance.

View attachment 25804
USS Huntington (CL 107) Entering harbor at Capetown, South Africa, at 1830 hrs, 15 October 1948.

View attachment 25805
On closer inspection I see the USS Huntington is carrying a Curtis SC Seahawk floatplane. It is rare to see those operational. Good find.