• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ship Photo of the Day

CAMike

None
Contributor
KAPOWWW!!!!

As viewed from The Baboon, (USS Boone FFG-28 aka "Bad Boone")
Operation Northern Wedding '86
USS IOWA

UssIowa1.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Pensacola, Northampton*, Portland, and New Orleans class CAs all had amidship aviation facilities.

*just learned that Northampton class CAs were the first USN ships to have bunks. I had read before that Lex and Sara had hammocks and in lieu of showers Sailors had tin buckets that they'd fill with cold water and then take to a steam fitting to warm up to bathe with the water. The "heads" were basically just bar troughs that went directly overboard which I guess saved on CHT headaches. Not sure if/when these ships were rehabbed or if they went to war with hammocks. If not I find it fascinating to think of WWII Sailors using hammocks (when not sleeping on deck in the South Pacific).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tassafaronga (Fourth Battle of Savo Island) We had 4 heavy cruisers, 1 light cruiser and 4 destroyers - the Japanese had only 8 destroyers - but they had the dreaded Long Lance torpedo. Although we lost the Northampton, damage control saved the other cruisers.

After construction of temporary bows from coconut logs, Minneapolis and New Orleans departed Tulagi for Espiritu Santo or Sydney, Australia on December 12. All three cruisers required lengthy and extensive repairs. New Orleans returned to action in August, Minneapolis in September, and Pensacola in October 1943.[38]

USS New Orleans after a torpedo attack, 01 Dec 1942. The bow has been severed between the #1 and the #2 gun turrets.
0403229.jpg

USS Minneapolis after the same battle.

80_G_211215.jpg

USS Pensacola - same battle
USS-Pensacola.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I knew the Iowa class was fast, but not that fast:

Fastest speed recorded for a battleship

The US Iowa-class battleships were powered by eight fuel oil boilers and four propellers, delivering 212,000 shaft horsepower. In 1968, during a shakedown cruise, the Iowa-class USS New Jersey achieved a top speed of 35.2 knots (65.2 km/h) which it sustained for six hours. As part of a brutal test of the ship’s engines, the captain then ordered the ship to go instantly from “all ahead flank” to “all back emergency”. New Jersey took some two miles to come to a stop.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/fastest-speed-recorded-for-a-battleship/

Ioxr7Os.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Now that was a big freakin' ship. Jeremy Clarkson aboard the Jahre Viking (no word if they let The Stig race it...)

Knock+Nevis+-+World's+Biggest+Super+Tanker+(14).JPG

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Pegasus class hydrofoil: Harpoons and a 76mm. Listened to an admiral who had command of one of these as a lieutenant - he could not stop grinning when he talked about it.

Peg.jpg

Pegasus.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
The French Richelieu class battleship. Unorthodox design of 8 x 15" cannons forward in 2 quadruple turrets while having 9 x 6" aft - seems like it would be more effective to have another quadruple turret aft if weight permitted... The French really seemed to like the quadruple turret.

The 2nd ship of this class, the Jean Bart, engaged Allied forces at Casablanca. Still under construction and with only 1 operational turret, the Jean Bart engaged USS Massachusetts - which proved to be a mistake....although apparently quite a few of the 16" rounds that hit her did not explode due to the shell's fuses having been manufactured in 1918...

pCHEE.jpg

381168.jpg

Richelieu-1.jpg

Just as the US had plans for the Montana class to follow the Iowas, the French had plans for the Alsace class to follow the Richelieu - this class did have a 3rd quadruple turret...

1015px-Alsace.svg.png

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A portion of the official USN report about damage to ships in the first 12 months of the war.

Remarks on Damage

MASSACHUSETTS (BB59)

11/8/42

North Africa

Gunfire - 3

Direct hits by two 240mm S.A.P. projectiles and one ricochet - minor damage.

SummWarDamageSurface-17OCT41-7DEC42-46.jpg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, is my old buddy the Baylander still around?
th576.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
So, is my old buddy the Baylander still around?
th576.jpg
Baylander went away. No more DLQs for SNAs (when I went through she was in the yards so my peers and I didn't go to the boat until the RAG. First look at a ship was USS Wasp in the VACAPES. Got canx that night and qualled on a USNS...maybe Mt Baker).