• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

shin splints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

I was wondering if anyone out there has had shin splints or is having shin splints. If so what have you done to prevent this. I have been running about 2 months now and yesterday all of a sudden I was feeling tightness in my lower leg around my tibia. I was wondering if someone can help me with some tips before I go to OCS. Thanks in advance

Logan Ridley

STOP running and let them rest. Continue aerobically training with swimming, rowing, or biking, but rest your legs. I'll get shin splints sometimes after I have suddenly changed running surface (ie spend a full day on the beach chasing down frisbees, footballs, and jumping waves.) Whenever they start to hurt, I quit overusing them and rub in some muscle cream. So far that has been my best strategy.

sailorgloom

There is something you can do to help prevent shin splints. You'll need a 5 lbs. weight and a place to sit.

1. Sit down with your feet flat on the ground and knee bent at a 90 degree angle.
2. Place 5 lbs. weight on your toe.
3. Bend your foot at the ankle (toes up) and hold for 15 seconds while keeping your heel on the deck.
4. Repeat 4 times per foot.

Use this before and after your run. Again, this is preventative. If you already have shin splints, stop running and use an eliptical rider or running substitute until it feels better.

-SG

paullatina

I used to get shin splints like crazy and it got to the point they would hurt all day and night no matter how much rest I gave them. I would need to take 4 advil before a run just to mask the pain. I found the key to being pain free is twofold:

1. Get fitted for running shoes by a professional running store. They will "read" your arches and get you into the proper shoe according to your level of arch and walking style. It is startling how much this helps. You'll also want to get new running shoes every 5months or 400 miles. You'll notice an immediate difference in your ankles, shins, and knees. After you splurge the first time for the shoes, you will know what brand/model you need, so you can get them from cheaper places next time.

2. I manually massage my shins the in the evening after I run. It hurts at first but you will be able to pinpoint the problem area and focus your attention there. I move both hands up and down the entire shin until I can do it completely pain free which is usually 5 min or so. After that they feel good as new. I had to do this continually for about a month until I got it under control, now I only need to do it as a form of preventitive maintance.

Hope this helps. Good luck! -Paul

submariner8

Those heel raises that sailorgloom mentioned are great, I do those as well and it seems to help prevent shin splints for me. I'm not sure how much you do this, but it is important to properly stretch before running. I read an article recently that said most shin splints occur because of the runners failure to stretch before running.

You should stretch (at a minimum) your hamstrings, quads, calfs and shins. I also stretch my triceps, chest, neck, back, and shoulders before I run, and it really seems to help keep me injury free. It is also recommended that you stretch after you exercise as well, focusing on the same muscle groups you stretched at the start.

Stretching your shin muscles is a little hard to do standing up, unless you have really good balance. You can try to stand on your heels with your toes pointed up for 15-20 seconds. If this doesn't work for you, try sitting on the floor with your legs in front of you and your hands planted on the floor beside you. Bend your foot at the ankle as far as you can so that your toes are pointing back toward your body, and hold this for 15 to 20 seconds. You will feel the stretch in the front of your legs between the knee and ankle. Hope that helps!

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
ICE!!!! (after working out) and rest. If you're worried about your run time and concerned that not running for a while will hurt, get access to a pool with a deep end and do water running there. You get the same motion, without the impact on your shins and ankles. An added bonus, higher comfort factor in the water before API.

sailorgloom

Shipmate, I almost forgot. Use good socks. Good point about the shoes. Bring in your existing shoe to a real running shoe store to find out your type of foot.

-SG

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Used to get these all the time in HS. Had to see a doctor about it and he determined they were being caused by the arch in my foot being too low. He gave me orthotic arch supports to put in my running shoes and told me to slowly go back to running like normal, and after only about a week or so I was back running at 100% with no pain before, during, or after running.

So, for now give it some rest and ice for about a week. When you go back running, get some athletic tape, and over a thin sock (tape never held when put directly on the skin), put the tape under the your arch then pull it up tight and over the top of your foot. Do this for a few layers and it will help prop up your arch and if it was a low arch causing the pain, it should help immediately. If this seems to make things worse, stop using it right away b/c it could indicate the reverse, that you have an abnormally high arch which could also be the cause of the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.