• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shedding light on waivers (enlisted perspective)

So I wanted to type this up because I recently went through this and wanted to help some fellow OCS-hopefuls out as well. I am enlisted, so I can only speak to my experience, but from what I understand, it may be the same for civilians as well. Nonetheless, I had several waivers and no one really knew how to go about getting waiver requests approved or where to start (It's not in the 1420.1b like plenty other things) and while I did have several prior enlisted OCS mentors, they did not have waivers so they did not really know either. When it comes to waivers such as TIS, OAR, Age, GPA, you have to submit a waiver REQUEST to the OCM. I found a sample of the waiver request on the SWO Program Authorization and used it for all three waiver requests whether I was applying to SWO or not. Once you get those typed up, you'll need to have them ENDORSED by your CO. I caps endorsed because, while CO is typically the final approver for most things, this time he/she is not (my CO held my package for months because he didn't know how to approve my waiver although I kept explaining to his aide that he did not have to). They simply endorse it and give it back to you, in which you then send it to Paul Celestin who then sends it to the OCM for review/approval. In your justification as to why you are REQUESTING a waiver, please be honest and transparent. It is also important to note that your waiver request and package are looked at together by the OCM as they prefer to have context and if you have a strong package but might have fallen short on the GPA, the strength of the package and the context in your justification goes a long way in speaking for you. Each designator OCM has a different way they review waiver requests, some don't review them until right before the board, some review them as soon as they get them. In my experience, I submitted 3 waiver requests and had them all back and approved within a week (across multiple designators).

As for medical waivers such as anxiety, adjustment disorders, etc... the same applies in terms of typing a waiver request (see SWO PA) and having your CO endorse it. However, you will likely need input from your doc as well, but this will go on your 2808 and 2807(i dont remember which version). After you get these back, forward them to Mr Celestin who then takes them to BUMED (he said they sit right across the hall from him) and then you wait. I submitted my med waiver request around 0800 EST and had a response by 1100 EST asking for amplifying info. In the event this happens to you, get the amplifying info returned back to Mr Celestin as quickly as possible and then wait again. From initial submission to waiver approval was maybe 5 days (3 days was waiting for an appointment to get amplifying info lol) so they are really quick and efficient. Oh and you can submit MEDICAL waiver requests separate from the package just in case your package is not finished yet. Simply get the med portion finished and submit the med docs, the waiver request, and the first page of your OCS application and voila!

I hope this helps someone because I wish I would have known this before starting. In summary, when it comes to waivers like OAR, GPA, and TIS (this one kinda depends), JUST GET THE KIT SUBMITTED! The guys at CNRC are really good at what they do and have seen a thousand other requests so they are very efficient. BUMED is also very efficient, but that is a bit different depending on your medical condition. Oh and once you get to the board, the members will simply see your Memo for Approved waiver and will press forward with racking and stacking you. If you guys have any more questions about waivers, feel free to drop them below and I'll help if I can.

exNavyOffRec

Waivers are not the same for civilians, process and considerations are different.

Not all waivers go to the OCM.

If a person is going aviation N3M will defer to NAMI, so a person could be given a green light then get to OCS, then told they are a no.

Good morning all. I was able to successfully finish my Part I flight physical and when I went in for my Part II, was told since i was diagnosed with "mild sleep apnea" in 2019 i needed to go in to sleep study for a re-evaluation to make sure it was under control so the flight doc could submit a waiver. I went to sleep study and completed a "wakefulness" test and was told I should be good to go, no issues and sleep apnea is under control. When I went in for my Part II physical, I was told that if I have sleep apnea, it is an automatic disqualification for applicants and a waiver will not be accepted (according to the NAMI instruction). Has anyone been able to get a way around this or is this the end for my SNO/SNFO application process?

Good morning all. I was able to successfully finish my Part I flight physical and when I went in for my Part II, was told since i was diagnosed with "mild sleep apnea" in 2019 i needed to go in to sleep study for a re-evaluation to make sure it was under control so the flight doc could submit a waiver. I went to sleep study and completed a "wakefulness" test and was told I should be good to go, no issues and sleep apnea is under control. When I went in for my Part II physical, I was told that if I have sleep apnea, it is an automatic disqualification for applicants and a waiver will not be accepted (according to the NAMI instruction). Has anyone been able to get a way around this or is this the end for my SNO/SNFO application process?
I'd apply anyway. Submit the waiver request and see what happens.

exNavyOffRec

I'd apply anyway. Submit the waiver request and see what happens.
He doesn't need to as it is part of the medical review process, he will submit the medical documents with the physical that was done and they will review, if they decide it is eligible for a waiver they will give it, if not they will come back and say NPQ.

If they say PQ that is just for commissioning programs, they will put a line on the PQ letter that says "N3M defers to NAMI for suitability in aviation programs" that is how people get to OCS then go through the NAMI process and get whammied (for non-aviation you don't have to worry about this).

He doesn't need to as it is part of the medical review process, he will submit the medical documents with the physical that was done and they will review, if they decide it is eligible for a waiver they will give it, if not they will come back and say NPQ.

If they say PQ that is just for commissioning programs, they will put a line on the PQ letter that says "N3M defers to NAMI for suitability in aviation programs" that is how people get to OCS then go through the NAMI process and get whammied (for non-aviation you don't have to worry about this).
Thanks for the feedback and advice gentlemen. When I went to my closest Flight Medicine I spoke with the HM1 there and he repeatedly said "Its in black and white in the NAMI, for designated personnel (aviators), they are reviewed on a case by case basis but for applicants it is an automatic disqualifier", he even brought in the Flight Surgeon that was on shift that day and they both just kept telling me, "yea they wont even entertain that waiver, you might as well try a different program". I pushed back and asked if there was someone we can talk to since I am active duty it might be different compared to a civilian applicant. They eventually told me they will contact NAMI and see what they say. I just received an email from the HM1 stating that NAMI said even though OSA is a disqualifier, they recommend I still submit my package. It just sucked at the moment i felt they were trying to shut me down instead of trying to help me out. Made me feel like we were on opposing teams. But I will continue to push forward with the package and see what happens.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the feedback and advice gentlemen. When I went to my closest Flight Medicine I spoke with the HM1 there and he repeatedly said "Its in black and white in the NAMI, for designated personnel (aviators), they are reviewed on a case by case basis but for applicants it is an automatic disqualifier", he even brought in the Flight Surgeon that was on shift that day and they both just kept telling me, "yea they wont even entertain that waiver, you might as well try a different program". I pushed back and asked if there was someone we can talk to since I am active duty it might be different compared to a civilian applicant. They eventually told me they will contact NAMI and see what they say. I just received an email from the HM1 stating that NAMI said even though OSA is a disqualifier, they recommend I still submit my package. It just sucked at the moment i felt they were trying to shut me down instead of trying to help me out. Made me feel like we were on opposing teams. But I will continue to push forward with the package and see what happens.
That is what I would expect them to say as until they read all the documents they can't make a fair judgement, you might PM that other guy to see what he was told.

I had to submit a waiver request for my adjustment disorder. This was the case as of mid-Jan 2022.

exNavyOffRec

I had to submit a waiver request for my adjustment disorder. This was the case as of mid-Jan 2022.
Normally the medical just goes up and it is taken care of, if NRC came back and asked for it then their must have been some further input from the command they wanted. If it was your command that had you do it then it is possible the local MTF did their own thing, that has happened before and caused applicants to be delayed.