• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Shaving at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevincjr1

Hello all, this may seem like a crazy topic but I am really trying to figure out what to do about this shaving crisis at OCS. I am an african american and I have never shaved a day in my life with a razor and shaving cream, mainly because I hate razor bumps and the sight of them.I have just used clippers to eliminate that problem, but obviously the shave isn't that close. I was wondering if someone could tell me what is allowed at OCS whether it be small clippers to dry shave or an electric razor. If I do have to use a regular razor and shaving cream does anyone know how to prevent those irritating razor bumps. Thanks in advance for any response.
Kevin

WFU2USN

Kevin,

I'm not sure if OCS is different than the rest of the Navy or not with regard to this. But, I have known many African American men who've had the same issue with shaving. These people frequently had a "no-shave" chit that had been issued to them from medical. Again, I'm not sure if OCS does that or not.

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

Kevincjr1

Thanks for the response, I have no problem shaving it's just with a regular shaver and cream. But I guess what I really need to know is can I bring an electric trimmer, you know the small ones barbers use to do line ups. It's not big or anything like that,it is fairly small and I use these to shave because it is quick and it doesn't cause bumps. thanks in advance for any response.
kevin

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
From what I've heard around this forum, you ARE allowed an electric razor at OCS. So, it seems you should be fine.

D

Nick

I noticed one candidate using one, but that was before the SI's picked up our platoon.

Nick

jaerose

Ha, a guy named Nick in a shaving thread! Now that's funny! Just kidding. If you want to use a beard trimmer, I would suggest getting an electric razor with one of those built in...that way they cannot gripe about you having just the trimmer. Also, if you don't have a thick beard you could possibly get away with just using the trimmer for a while, but I would definitely shave for the inspections (like for 4th week liberty).

JR

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Try shaving in the shower with the water running on your face while you shave. First take a shower and wash your bald head. Then after the water has been on for a while and the hair is softened up shave with the water running. Works great.

Dave

jaerose

I'm going to let my beard grow and then just get my face waxed a couple of times before I go...so the hair grows back more slowly...it'll save time in the morning! I figure wax right before arriving, if I need to shave before liberty, then ok, otherwise just get waxed as needed on liberty. =) Actually, that would make me cry like a newborn baby!

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.