• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SF-86 and keeping Clearance up to date prior to Final Select/Commissioning

RM3(SW)

I had my security officer in the unit check to see if mine was completed yet, its done and approved. I am currently enlisted reserves so I have someone to go to for this, advantage of being currently serving I guess,

cargodog

Hey for all those recently selected DCO's out there. I was selected at the July '09 boards and thought I had everything good to go for clearance paperwork and MEPS stuff. I completed my SF86 (clearance paperwork) prior to the board but as it turns out there's an additional 3 pages "they" added on to the form. So, now, its two months later and my security clearance hasn't even been started and no one bothered to tell me. The only reason I found out was because I'm headed to Canada next weekend for some R+R and I asked if the foreign travel needed to be declared. My clearance hasn't even started yet so I'm now two months behind on commissioning! Just a heads-up if you did your paperwork a long time ago - you might need to update it!

X

xxxCharliexxx

Hey for all those recently selected DCO's out there. I was selected at the July '09 boards and thought I had everything good to go for clearance paperwork and MEPS stuff. I completed my SF86 (clearance paperwork) prior to the board but as it turns out there's an additional 3 pages "they" added on to the form. So, now, its two months later and my security clearance hasn't even been started and no one bothered to tell me. The only reason I found out was because I'm headed to Canada next weekend for some R+R and I asked if the foreign travel needed to be declared. My clearance hasn't even started yet so I'm now two months behind on commissioning! Just a heads-up if you did your paperwork a long time ago - you might need to update it!

That's right! I completely forgot about that. I had to update my NASIS (security form) since I had some things change and - the form was having 'issues' with not wanting to delete the old data. Anyway, it was sorted out but took a week to do it and my recuiter had to call all over the place to see how to get it to work (they had just implemented it so still working out the kinks). I will make sure it didn't change again and that my clearance got started. Thanks for the reminder! I think I submitted mine right after the change but I better make certain!
But I thought you were given an interim clearance anyway, why should this delay your commissioning?

-Charlie

cargodog

But I thought you were given an interim clearance anyway, why should this delay your commissioning?

-Charlie

I was under the impression that your clearance had to be completely approved before you can commission. But that's mostly an assumption on my part. If you're right about the interim clearance then I guess it wouldn't necessarily delay it and I could breathe a lot easier! Does anyone know for sure?

smloan2

I was under the impression that your clearance had to be completely approved before you can commission. But that's mostly an assumption on my part. If you're right about the interim clearance then I guess it wouldn't necessarily delay it and I could breathe a lot easier! Does anyone know for sure?

Charlie is right about the security clearance. I was also selected in the Sept. 14th board for Intel and I met with the OPM investigators doing my background on Monday. They told me they wanted to finish my background by today's date. I told them that I thought it took more than 1 week to do a background, and they told me that they were only doing and submitting a preliminary investigation and that the full T/S clearance gets completed after you have already been commissioned. There is even a form that you sign when you sign your COMDOCS that basically says you understand that your commission can be revoked if you do not meet the T/S clearance after you have been commissioned. Hope that helps...even though the answer was a bit wordy.

cargodog

You were right, Charlie! ;) I guess they do give interim clearances, but I have a feeling I'll still be delayed a bit because of it. Lets hope I'm the only one! Thanks, guys!