• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Sexual Assault Information from Commissioned Female (AF)ROTC Officers

Hello,

I'm a female interested in joining either the ROTC or AFROTC, but have been hesitant recently after reading about the high rates of sexual assault and rape that happen on military bases. Due to this, I was hoping if anyone (preferably female, as that’s who this question is regarding) who went through either of these programs could shed some light on their experiences.

Thank you greatly,

Galaxy

(edit : Guys, I’m not looking to have some bullshit debate over this. Whether or not you yourself believe it, there is a known issue with gender-based assault in the military, and statistically speaking, there’s a very good chance you’re going to get assaulted (as the rate is above half). I’m not looking for your opinions, as while I’m aware of very unfair male assault, it is different for women. I’m very SIMPLY looking for a woman’s experience on these issues. And frankly, I don’t see why some of you feel like you know everything about something you may not even have to worry about. So please, leave the space open for what I’m actually looking for: a woman’s experience. Not a debate).

Last edited:

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Hello,

I'm a female interested in joining either the ROTC or AFROTC, but have been hesitant recently after reading about the high rates of sexual assault and rape that happen on military bases. Due to this, I was hoping if anyone (preferably female, as that’s who this question is regarding) who went through either of these programs could shed some light on their experiences.

Thank you greatly,

Galaxy

(edit : Guys, I’m not looking to have some bullshit debate over this. Whether or not you yourself believe it, there is a known issue with gender-based assault in the military, and statistically speaking, there’s a very good chance you’re going to get assaulted (as the rate is above half). I’m not looking for your opinions, as while I’m aware of very unfair male assault, it is different for women. I’m very SIMPLY looking for a woman’s experience on these issues. And frankly, I don’t see why some of you feel like you know everything about something you may not even have to worry about. So please, leave the space open for what I’m actually looking for: a woman’s experience. Not a debate).

Yes it happens.

It’s kind of a tricky topic because there’s a presumption that a % of events go unreported. How much? That’s a legitimate question.

DoD is very encouraging of sexual assault reporting, which may play into why the stats are higher in DoD, along with the environment being heavily male dominated. There are different ways to process sexual assault reporting (restricted vs unrestricted). Restricted gets access to healthcare etc, but doesn’t notify command or law enforcement and Unrestricted notifies command and law enforcement. I personally know two females and two males who were victims of sexual assault (1 each during officer accession programs and one each in the fleet).

Victims often feel a stigma about reporting. Alcohol and drug use can really complicate a case. Service member on service member assault allegations also become quite complicated and victims feel that commands circle the wagon to protect their guy and the accused often feel they’re burned at the stake over allegations that aren’t true. Internal tracking inside NCIS has revealed that close to half of the sexual assault cases they get involved in contain false reporting.

It’s definitely a risk for you as a female. Probably higher risk for a longer period of time compared the civilian world due to the close nature of the work/social environment. Definitely good on you for doing the research beforehand to know what you’re getting into.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the first reply is ”you can’t prevent 100% of sexual assault“...
Well you can't. Just like you can't prevent 100% of identity theft, or murder, or robbery, etc. And yes, you can't prevent 100% of all aircraft mishaps, no matter what your local Safety Nazi may say. Any human enterprise or social activity will result in an undesirable outcome of some sort if the data set is large enough. One hundred percent prevention of sexual assault is aspirational. It is not a realistic goal because humans are human. There will always be sickos, sociopaths, drunks, and deviants. I don't think the OP wanted to hear we have a plan to completely eliminate sexual assault. So there was no need for an excuse.

TexCraft

Hello,

Thank you greatly,

Galaxy

Father of 4 daughters here; oldest (20) is currently Enlisted and has been in for a little over a year now. She's been underway twice and is currently on a deployment. This topic is one that her mother, uncles (current LS1 and FCC), and I had discussed at length with her in terms of using her voice and saying something should something ever need to be said. She went in undesignated and LOVES it! She has had an amazing experience so far and hasn't seen or heard of any cases amongst her peers. I know this wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

TexCraft

Damn what must her home life have been like to make being at sea as an undesignated sailor seem good? Sweepers, busting rust and FOD walkdown every morning since kindergarten?
HAHAHA!!! I guess I could add some clarifiers. She LOVES the Navy, the job...well, mom, dad, and uncles were right. She was convinced that she was going to marry her high school boyfriend who joined the marines and instead of going HC, she went undesignated because the contract was shorter. She and her boyfriend broke up shortly after boot-camp. Now with all that being said, she's striking rate and will be going BM in the next few months, she really enjoys that community (if I understand all the terminology correctly).

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
It’s kind of a tricky topic because there’s a presumption that a % of events go unreported. How much? That’s a legitimate question.

DoD is very encouraging of sexual assault reporting, which may play into why the stats are higher in DoD, along with the environment being heavily male dominated. There are different ways to process sexual assault reporting (restricted vs unrestricted). Restricted gets access to healthcare etc, but doesn’t notify command or law enforcement and Unrestricted notifies command and law enforcement. I personally know two females and two males who were victims of sexual assault (1 each during officer accession programs and one each in the fleet).

Victims often feel a stigma about reporting. Alcohol and drug use can really complicate a case. Service member on service member assault allegations also become quite complicated and victims feel that commands circle the wagon to protect their guy and the accused often feel they’re burned at the stake over allegations that aren’t true. Internal tracking inside NCIS has revealed that close to half of the sexual assault cases they get involved in contain false reporting.

It’s definitely a risk for you as a female. Probably higher risk for a longer period of time compared the civilian world due to the close nature of the work/social environment. Definitely good on you for doing the research beforehand to know what you’re getting into.
If I remember a SAPR program review put on by the DoN Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPRO) a few years ago, the DoD as a whole has higher reporting and response rates than the civilian world. I can't remember where they pulled that data from but they attributed it to the fact that we are VERY encouraging of reporting sexual assault, that EVERY SINGLE REPORT gets investigated, and that we have a two-tiered reporting structure with Restricted and Unrestricted reports. If I can find the brief, I'll post it. I don't think there was anything FOUO or SBU in it.

@Galaxy, I'm not a woman, but I can tell you from experience having dealt with the SAPR program as both a unit XO and at the Fleet level that the entire DoD takes sexual assault seriously. I can't comment on other services but I haven't seen any program outside of the Navy that is as rigorous or victim-oriented as the Navy's. I'm sure the other services are similar but I've seen entire commands move mountains to help their Sailors who have been victims of sexual assault. While no organization is perfect, the Navy does a pretty good job. Please don't let this dissuade you from serving if that's what you really want to do.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m a female ROTC grad from a big public university, went thru med school, was a flight doc w both Marine Corps & carrier based aviation, did specialized doctor stuff, & eventually retired. I got married along the way & now have a husband, dogs, kids, etc. Thankfully nothing awful happened to me in school or in the Navy. I will admit there were times I was nervous (parties getting out of hand, or being deployed and attracting some unwanted attention) but my buddies looked out for me, both male & female. When I was in charge of a command, there was a harassment episode involving a young female Sailor & a male Chief. The Navy was clear that was not acceptable behavior - the Sailor felt safe reporting it & the Chief was appropriately reprimanded. It’s not a perfect system but it works reasonably well.

ROTC is a good way to pay for school & get a job, maybe a career. Navy/mil is a great way to get some skills, see the world, & serve your county. Do your job, don’t take $hit you don’t deserve / stay out of trouble & look out for your buddies.