• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service time

drkack

I was thinking about doing the NROTC for my junior and senior year of college. I am wanting to go in as a pilot. Is the service time different for becoming a pilot or what?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Service commitment for a pilot is 8yrs after you get your wings (which can take over 24 months...depending on your pipeline and backups etc.)

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Here's how it breaks down. If you do ROTC, you will owe 8 years no matter what. Here's where the differences lie. If you go Surface Warfare (ships), you will owe four years of active duty starting from the day you graduate college. If you go Subs, you will owe 5 years active duty. The rest of the time can be spent in the reserves. As for Pilots, you will owe 8 years of active duty service from the day you get your wings. So, you will be in the active duty navy for about 10 years before you get the chance to get out. Flight school counts for your pension, but not for obligation time. For NFOs, we owe 6 years after wings. If you have any more questions, don't hessitate to PM me. Good luck. I was a two year guy and don't regret it for a minute.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's how it breaks down. If you do ROTC, you will owe 8 years no matter what. Here's where the differences lie. If you go Surface Warfare (ships), you will owe four years of active duty starting from the day you graduate college. If you go Subs, you will owe 5 years active duty. The rest of the time can be spent in the reserves.
To clarify that last part, you will transfered to the IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) if you decide to get out prior your 8 year point. This is not the same as being a Selected Reservist, where you have to drill once a month. In the IRR, your name goes on a list and they recall you if you are needed. It is very rare for someone on the IRR to be recalled, but it has happened.