• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Service Swap?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think it's as much a judgement of your character as it is a reflection on the amount of people we get here that are in fact trolls. Regardless, adding a little more info to your profile certainly couldnt hurt.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I don't think it's as much a judgement of your character as it is a reflection on the amount of people we get here that are in fact trolls. Regardless, adding a little more info to your profile certainly couldnt hurt.

It might even help you get the info you're asking about.

JollyFlight

I am a fully qualified HH-60G pilot in the USAF. How difficult would it be to transfer to the Marine Corps? Are we talking impossible? I know this is an old thread, but I appreciate any new info y'all might have! (excuse my multiple posts)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Jolly,

How much do you hate the USAF? You've asked the same question in 3 places. Just chill and wait for someone to answer. At least give it a few days before spamming every vaguely related thread!

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
Jolly, it would be more difficult than switching to another service because the Marines would make you go through TBS - The Basic School, a six month intro infantry course in Quantico, VA. However, you should be able to do it as long as the Air Force will let you go. Best bet would be to talk to a Marine officer recruiter and see what they can do for you.

usaficeman1

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of doing a lateral pilot transfer to the Navy from the Air Force. I am a T-38 grad from Vance that got assigned C-21s to Ramstein, which is a pretty sweet gig. But I just got word that I'll no longer be able to compete to go pointy-nose for my next assignment and will be forced to the heavy world. I love being in the Air Force, but my dream has always been to be in a single seat jet, and I'm just not ready to let it go.

I've got just over 8 years left on my pilot training ADSC and I've been researching ways to get to a fighter after my assignment at Ramstein. I've looked at Palace Chase to a guard or reserve unit, but currently they're not really letting young pilots go. My buddy just got jets from Navy Pilot Training and he said that they're hurting for pilots right now. So I figured I'd look into transferring my commitment over to the Navy to see if I could go fly fighters off the boat with them.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You already posted this in another thread dude.

DawgPoundfa

None
I did an interservice transfer from the Army to the Navy and at the time it was not that difficult. The hardest part was getting the Army to release me. The Navy wanted me to transfer earlier but the Army would not let me transfer until my service commitment was up, and I was just a Field Artillery Officer. The process for me took about a year and I was told that was faster then normal.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of doing a lateral pilot transfer to the Navy from the Air Force. I am a T-38 grad from Vance that got assigned C-21s to Ramstein, which is a pretty sweet gig. But I just got word that I'll no longer be able to compete to go pointy-nose for my next assignment and will be forced to the heavy world. I love being in the Air Force, but my dream has always been to be in a single seat jet, and I'm just not ready to let it go.

I've got just over 8 years left on my pilot training ADSC and I've been researching ways to get to a fighter after my assignment at Ramstein. I've looked at Palace Chase to a guard or reserve unit, but currently they're not really letting young pilots go. My buddy just got jets from Navy Pilot Training and he said that they're hurting for pilots right now. So I figured I'd look into transferring my commitment over to the Navy to see if I could go fly fighters off the boat with them.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

Let me get this straight- you're an AF dude who didn't get his first choice so you are trying to jump ship on the AF and fly for the Navy? You have two options now: you can either be that guy who bitches about flying C-21s and who was trying to go fly for the Navy because he thought he was a born fighter pilot; OR you can take it in stride, play the hand that you're dealt and work hard to be the best C-21 driver the AF has. So you have 2 ways your squadron-mates can see you: Bitch Boy or Shit Hot. Now I'm an unwinged primary aviator but I'd rather be Shit Hot than Bitch Boy any day of the week. Though my opinion doesn't matter.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I've got to disagree. At some point in your life, you have to man up and look out for number one. A lat transfer could work out OR it could screw him. If he's willing to take the chance, give him the knowledge he wants and let him make the decision. I don't think any one would care if he came from the Air Force...if he's a d-bag then they'll flush him. If not, where he came from will be transparent.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
You have a pretty big attitude for someone who hasn't even been winged.

But in all seriousness, why the hard*** attitude to a guy that's not that much farther along in his pipeline than you are?

All the rumors that I've heard/read (and that's all they are) say that the best time to transfer is after your winging because you're considered qualified to fly, but you haven't done specific a/c training yet. Don't know how true that is, but one of the Lt's teaching API mentioned there was an opportunity to transfer to MC from Navy (during his track select) because slots had opened up that needed to be filled.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You have a pretty big attitude for someone who hasn't even been winged.

But in all seriousness, why the hard*** attitude to a guy that's not that much farther along in his pipeline than you are?

All the rumors that I've heard/read (and that's all they are) say that the best time to transfer is after your winging because you're considered qualified to fly, but you haven't done specific a/c training yet. Don't know how true that is, but one of the Lt's teaching API mentioned there was an opportunity to transfer to MC from Navy (during his track select) because slots had opened up that needed to be filled.

Big ego? Sometimes. Big attitude? I guess. Seems to me that most advice around here is do your best and fly what they give you, you'll love it anyway. In a few weeks when I select what would you tell me if I said "I have Jet grades, I want jets, I want to be a fighter pilot- but I'm stuck at South Field to fly Helos. Can I Xfer to the Air Force to fly T-38s?" You and I have both seen the guys who have the 70 NSS and worked their asses off, put Jets #1 and get drafted to Helo world. How is this guy any different, just further on down the road?

Yeah, I've heard of Navy going Marines (our Commandant is one of them) during the pipeline. Seems those slots are offered though.

To the dude with the Xfer question: Don't rule out the Guard. Palace Chase may not be available, but you may be able to get picked up by a unit after your commitment is up. My old man flew with many guys from other communities during his 20some year stint with the Guard. Good luck.

ryan1234

To the dude with the Xfer question: Don't rule out the Guard. Palace Chase may not be available, but you may be able to get picked up by a unit after your commitment is up. My old man flew with many guys from other communities during his 20some year stint with the Guard. Good luck.

There is a lot of weird stuff going on in the Guard now. Proceed with caution.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You know what'd be hilarious? If he went to a guard F-16 unit and they transitioned to Reapers right after. This guy sounds like a typical 'I didn't get what I wanted' whiner. Flying Learjets around Europe? Sounds like a f'ing terrible deal man.

81montedriver

pilot
Big ego? Sometimes. Big attitude? I guess. Seems to me that most advice around here is do your best and fly what they give you, you'll love it anyway. In a few weeks when I select what would you tell me if I said "I have Jet grades, I want jets, I want to be a fighter pilot- but I'm stuck at South Field to fly Helos. Can I Xfer to the Air Force to fly T-38s?" You and I have both seen the guys who have the 70 NSS and worked their asses off, put Jets #1 and get drafted to Helo world. How is this guy any different, just further on down the road?

Yeah, I've heard of Navy going Marines (our Commandant is one of them) during the pipeline. Seems those slots are offered though.

I wouldn't post too much more in this thread if I were you. Yeh he might be in the AF, but he's a winged aviator and you're not. So experience wise, he is ahead of you. I agree it's a longshot for him and he should be happy with what he is flying but all he wanted was some answers. We don't know enough about him to judge. All he wanted was some answers and you took it to a level that wasn't required.